recent flood damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I being a miserable git in thinking why the hell should the government , ie and we the tax payers, fork out millions to people who didn't have insurance to cover the cost of the damage in the first place.
I have paid insurance for years and never made a claim.
It's the old old story, play by the rules and you will get no help, but if you decide to spend your money on booze, fags, and holidays at the expense of buildings insurance then the government will help you out.
I can understand giving assistance to oaps and disabled but why the others.
I couldn't help noticing the plasmas, leather suites, and fancy computer systems that were being thrown out because of the flood damage.

Sponsored Links
And where is all the international aid from the countries we helped out in their times off mass natural disasters?

scatmanjohn said:
I agree...effing parasites...the lot of em.
Couldn`t agree more read somwhere only 1in5 households have insurance 1in7 don`t bother with travel insurance when on holiday so how many out there with no car insurance.

Sponsored Links
anobium said:
I can understand giving assistance to oaps and disabled but why the others.
By "assistance", I'm taking your meaning as monetary. Why the special treatment for OAPS and the disabled? :confused:

gcol said

By "assistance", I'm taking your meaning as monetary. Why the special treatment for OAPS and the disabled?

Yes I could have worded it better, what I was trying to say was those who for genuine reasons do not have the finances to be able to afford buildings insurance or the other luxuries which other sections take for granted.
Many oaps are financially "well off" and can well afford insurance.

My favourite quote from these floods is a shop keeper complaining that the local council hadn't provided any (useless) sandbags and that the council,

"... didnt warn us there was going to be any flooding..."

IT WAS RAINING HEAVILY FOR DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wasnt that enough warning? :eek:

I think it's a bit late to start asking for help now.

What should have been done is that funds should have been made available so that folk without insurance could get help to get some. But to ask for assistance now after the event is ridiculous.

it irks me something rotten..

people choose to live next to a river, or in the big flat area below a reservoir and then moan like hell when they get flooded...

for those that got flooded because the rain water sewers are not adequate enough then they al least get my sympathy, providing they don't fall into the category above..

there's a reason why there's lots of flat land next to rivers.. it's called a FLOOD PLAIN...!!!!

when I bought my flat I had searches done which showed that there is a river within 500M of my flat.. so I had to wait on a decision from the mortgage people..

the river in question is about 495 meters from my front door and about 60m or so below the level of my house as I live on the top of a hill overlooking it..

You say that, but it wont stop the stupid people.

I live about 150 foot above the normal level of the river next to me (anout about 500 foot away). During the flooding there was a police cordon around my area, and i was told that if i drove out i would not be allowed to drive back in.

The coppers wouldnt be moved on the idea, despite being shown that both Rotherham and Sheffield would have to be completely flooded before the water got anywhere near my home.

ColJack, the thing is, the centre of sheffield was flooded. This is something like a 1 in 100 year event and even rarer if you consider the magnitude of this event. I wouldnt call that a flood plain, and I wouldnt say it was stupid of anyone to build anything there. I would, however, say it was stupid of anyone not to have home insurance.

I will say as well, regarding your reservoir comment, if that reservoir had burst, people up to 30-40 miles away would have been affected due to the resulting bulge in river water levels on the Don. The stupidity in this case is the design of the dam. The overflow channel was too close to the base of the dam and started eroding it.

The water in our house was because of a rainwater drain becoming overcome. It dumped its load on our street.

large flat areas near to a river are flood plains.. that is how they were made flat.. the river flooded several hundred times possibly over many thousands of years and eroded the landscape to make it flat..

damns should have more safeguard from these things built into them with the ability to totaly empty it in a matter of hours if an emergency needed it..

the third line was added specifically for you in my post above crafty.. but again it's down to bad planning on the part of the councils..

the yanks have the right idea...

sewers you can stand up in that are more than adequate for their needs..

storm drains built into the kerbs that can shift lots of water fast..

and storm culverts to take large amounts of water away fast..

ColJack said:
the yanks have the right idea...

sewers you can stand up in that are more than adequate for their needs..

You should see the sewers in London, they're so posh they've got trains in them! :cool:

anobium said:
Am I being a miserable git NO It's the old old story, play by the rules and you will get no help, but if you decide to spend your money on booze, fags, and holidays at the expense of buildings insurance then the government will help you out.It`s Grim OOP North
I couldn't help noticing the plasmas, leather suites, and fancy computer systems that were being thrown out because of the flood damage.
Eh ,Chuck you`re jealous

oompah said:
scatmanjohn said:
I agree...effing parasites...the lot of em.
Couldn`t agree more read somwhere only 1in5 households have insurance 1in7 don`t bother with travel insurance when on holiday so how many out there with no car insurance.
I found one with no car insurance ..........cost me a leg.....still got both arms tho :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back