Recommend me a wheelbarrow - 2 wheels or 1?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you guys use for your wheel barrows?

I’ve killed two of these ‘heavy’ duty ones now:

I was looking at a proper wheelbarrow site for the heavy duty ones, and seems like a lot have 2 wheels…which id not seen before. Anyone using a 2-wheeler?

Or have any general recommendations for a good barrow for building duties?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have the belle warrior. My old 40 years old steel/reinforced concrete one was still going strong but was getting heavier and heavier after each concreting job.

Just a traditional Chillington should be fine for many years. Look after it and it looks after you! Don't throw bricks in it at Mach 5, and don't ram the corner of the shovel in it like a zombie killer. Hose and brush any concrete/mortar afterwards.

You can't manoeuvre two-wheeled barrows as well as a one-wheeled, and the load capacity is no greater either. They are for old ladies to put pot plants in as they doddle about the garden

Can't wheel a two wheeler up a plank. I just got rid of my pressed steel skip-on-wheels that I've had for donkeys. It still worked but weighed about the same as a small car. I bought the 90l galvanised from Selco. It does the job for what I need but if I was going again I'd buy the Invincible instead.

Sponsored Links
Anything that doesn't have a galvanised tub and chassis will not last that long.
Most wheelbarrows rot in my experience just in front of the wheel, partly because they invariable are stored with the handles pointing upwards, so water collects inside, and partly because of careless tipping on hard ground, like concrete, wearing out the metal. Good barrows are reinforced at that point.

Another irritation is a wheel barrow that has the wheel too far back so the front of the frame catches on bumps on uneven ground. The best kind are angled upwards at the end to lift the front higher off the ground.

Another is where the bolts aren't properly countersunk in the tub so catch on a spade.

A pneumatic tyre is much easier to push, but a solid rubber tyre isn't always punctured when you want to use it.

I don't see much point in a two-wheeled version. If you want a garden trolley then in my view 2 wheels halfway along is best. A 4-wheeler is useless and unstable, unless you own a garden centre. with no steps or slopes.

Sorted, £68 from a local builders merchant

42B8FB54-B69F-4215-B3A7-FE18A24A3BDB.jpeg

Look after it and it looks after you!

Exactly this. I've had my wheelbarrow 30 years now and use it every day. Just need to maintain it properly. It's had 17 new wheels and 14 new tubs, it looks barely a couple of years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back