Recommend Tile adhesive and grout please? (Wall and floor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to return some tile adhesive and grout in one to B & Q as just read someone having problems with it.

We will be tiling over existing tiles as they are solid (I have read that should only be done as last resort and that you cannot tile in the same position as the existing tiles), so what should I buy?

We will also be tiling the floor, and again I bought two in one ready mixed, so I will return this too.

We once tiled our bathroom and used Wickes white grout, it is a horrible white, looks like a dirty white so will be avoiding this.

Any help is really appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
I have a topps tiles by me so thinking of getting the BAL make.

Trouble now what colour grout? :LOL:

I am having cream plain tiles on the wall and biege tiles on the floor.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to tile over existing tiles you need an adhesive suitable for porcelain so it will adhere to the surface of the old tiles.

It is acceptable to tile over tiles as long as you take into account that the existing tiles are well fixed,the weight of existing tiles + new tiles adhesive and grout on the wall surface.

This gives advised weights on different wall surfaces.
http://www.tiles.org.uk/help/answer-weight.shtml

I have a topps tiles by me so thinking of getting the BAL make.

Trouble now what colour grout? :LOL:

I am having cream plain tiles on the wall and biege tiles on the floor.

try mapei.co.uk.
they have plenty of grout colours to suit your tiles.

Thanks everyone

There are so many BAL grouts and adhesives! not sure which one I need?

I am tiling the kitchen wall and then a concrete floor.

My b/f and I will strip the old tiles off :)

What's the wall, block work with conventional plaster finish or plasterboard?
Are you removing existing tiles from the wall?

loops25 when you and your b/f have done the "easy" bit..getting them tiles off the walls... :LOL:

come back on and tell the guys what:
substrate you have on walls,
tiles:what type/size/colour you have picked the guys will advise with:
wall/floor preperation..and materials needed... ;)

Thanks everyone

Topps tiles will be rubbing their little grubby hands as soon as you walk in. In my opinion if the adhesive is over £15 a bag you are being had. Don't let them convince you it is worth £40 or whatever the hell they sell it at these days.

Thanks everyone

Topps tiles will be rubbing their little grubby hands as soon as you walk in. In my opinion if the adhesive is over £15 a bag you are being had. Don't let them convince you it is worth £40 or whatever the hell they sell it at these days.

pmsl ere at that comment skitz... :LOL: :LOL: ...
what do you suggest the op uses to fix tiles then!!!!...

the "all in one crap" that the sheds sell!!! or BLUE TAK...!!! :rolleyes:

loops25 when you and your b/f have done the "easy" bit..getting them tiles off the walls... :LOL:

come back on and tell the guys what:
substrate you have on walls,
tiles:what type/size/colour you have picked the guys will advise with:
wall/floor preperation..and materials needed... ;)

Haha, its going to be a nightmare, they really are on solid, if it was me I would leave them on but my b/f is going to remove them, anyway there are two outside and two plasterboard walls.

The wall - I have standard 15 x 15cm tiles, cream, smooth(Can't find them on B&Q website, colours range)

The floor (Concrete floor) - I have these

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1270393345810&isSearch=false

Cheers :)

If they are on solid the plasterboard walls will fall to bits and need replacing and the outside walls will pull huge holes in the plaster and need re-plastering. It's gonna get a bit expensive. ;)

BTW Square tiles are unpopular as they don't sit right with the eye and look like a public loo.

Yes you are right, Ok I am not changing my mind this time, We are tiling over the existing tiles, so what adhesive do i get?

By the way, I dont think my tiles will look like a public loo, I am having a mosiac border, the brick tiles are too expensive and i am on a budget, its a surprise for my mom and dad while they are on holiday:)

I always use Ardex D-20 when tiling over existing tiles Ardex D20 in fact, it's what I use for virtually all wall surfaces except when using very large format tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back