Recommendation for a set of chisels for wodwork

Axminster sell the self-adhesive sandpaper in 600, 1250, and 2500 grit only. Is the 600 course enough and is the 2500 fine enough or did you get other ones elsewhere?

600 and 1250 IIRC, I use them to hone the edges, just a few strokes is enough. Over sharpening and getting the angle slightly wrong - i.e. blunting - is my biggest bugbear.

Re the self adhesive, it is convenient to just slap them onto a piece of mdf off cut, or a bit of 2x3.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Which wooden mallet would you recommend for woodworking which my (very sharp) chisels? The make may not matter but what is a good size would be a good one for my first one?

I have a couple of old Emirs for mortise work (no longer making them, unfortunately), but for more delicate stuff I actually use a Thor nylon-faced hammer. I've known other folk who use 10/12oz brass head hammers and even one guy who has a Japanese plane hammer. If you are after a traditional English carpenter's mallet Crown Tools still make them. In general for lighter bench chisels something like a 4-1/2in beech mallet would do

I have a couple of old Emirs for mortise work (no longer making them, unfortunately), but for more delicate stuff I actually use a Thor nylon-faced hammer. I've known other folk who use 10/12oz brass head hammers and even one guy who has a Japanese plane hammer. If you are after a traditional English carpenter's mallet Crown Tools still make them. In general for lighter bench chisels something like a 4-1/2in beech mallet would do
Something like this? Would you use this mallet for light work or more heavy-duty work? What do you think of this alternative?

Sponsored Links
The Crown, which is UK made. A lot of Faithfull stuff is Chinese 4-1/2in is fairly light. If you have a nylon head hammer, though, try that first.

The Crown, which is UK-made. A lot of Faithfull stuff is Chinese 4-1/2in is fairly light. If you have a nylon head hammer, though, try that first.
I have neither so I'd like to get one that I can do things mortice joints etc. You mention that you use Thor Nylon Faced hammer for delicate work. Which of these look good for more heavy-duty work like mortice joints?

Last edited:
I have the wooden handled ones in 12 and 16oz sizes because I also use them for irons and wedges on my wooden planes as well as for in-cannel gouges (which have wooden handles). Of the two the 16oz is probably more useful for small to medium size mortises (at home). For mortises I normally use a heavier mallet, but that's down to the scale of things - you can't chop a mortise out of a 12 x 8in beam with a 12mm bevel edge chisel - it needs something a bit heavier.

Stanley 5001 chisels have nice quality steel - and they are quite common so can be picked on ebay often - only available used.

I have the wooden handled ones in 12 and 16oz sizes because I also use them for irons and wedges on my wooden planes as well as for in-cannel gouges (which have wooden handles). Of the two the 16oz is probably more useful for small to medium size mortises (at home). For mortises I normally use a heavier mallet, but that's down to the scale of things - you can't chop a mortise out of a 12 x 8in beam with a 12mm bevel edge chisel - it needs something a bit heavier.
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back