Recommendation on Combi

So why the sludge then ???? and why slag off combi's in relation to a thermal store, different animal !

Sponsored Links
Thermal store sludging where?
In the HW coil (ie. limescale)? in the main tank (ie. black oxide?)?

What was wrong with the design or installation so that all 36 of them went legs-up every six months??!!!

Thermal stores seemed to me to be a reasonable way of obtaining instant hot water and good heating performance with a small boiler and less complexity than a combi. Also no tanks needed. Only (and fatal!) limitation is that the store temperature of 80 degrees or so is completely incompatible with a condensing boiler.

Tell us more.

Manufacturer had done several tests and couldn't fault the installation or give a reason.

I will try to post a pic of a pump later,

Heating chap around today....based on me wanting to go Combi in a house with 2 showers...his recommendation

Sime Super 4 (think thats what he said) Combi boiler with a 80Litre storage.

Searched for it on this forum and couldnt find anything. Have I spelt that right ?

Sponsored Links
but if your going to have a store why not an unvented cylinder, at least that way you have an immersion heater backup when the boiler gives up the ghost.

To all lovers of combies (and any other symptoms of insanity), if you have a cylinder that is used to store the DHW, there is a space in the bottom which gets the bits of scale which forms on the heat source. So water comes out of the cylinder. If you have a heat exchanger with small volume, the bits of scale will move with the water to where you don't want them, or they will accumulate to block the exchanger. Combi boilers and thermal stores are built like this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back