recommendations for bulkhead light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good exterior bulkhead light to replace the broken one at my sister's house? It doesn't need PIR. Ideally would have replaceable bulb so the whole thing doesn't need replacing when the LED fails. (I'd rather limit my time up a ladder.)

What brands of these things have sparkies found that last?

Sponsored Links
Ideally would have replaceable bulb so the whole thing doesn't need replacing when the LED fails. (I'd rather limit my time up a ladder.)

LED's last a very long time, and the fitting is best made integrated (focused) with the LED, therefore rather pointless to make the LED replaceable.

Can I just add that I am not totally convinced that LEDs last "forever" although I do agree that they could have the potential to do so.
Depends upon manufacturer to a large extent.
So Harry I`m not disagreeing with you as such but just adding a small observation.

I must admit that when offered by a wholesaler the choice of two LED bulkheads for replacednt of my kitchen 8` fluoro and he stated that the cheaper one will just about last a bit longer than the 12 months guarentee and S W M B O favoured the cheaper one because like me she was brought up with the "save a shilling" ethos.
Anyway I did I was told and lo behold it has lasted for years even considering my lifelong saying (with fliament lamps and fluoros) not to cycle on for short periods - leaving it on if it will probably be switched on again in the next half hour. That was largely ignored with this fitting. It has lasted years longer than expected - I did not complain to that wholesaler though LOL.

Sponsored Links
LED's last a very long time, and the fitting is best made integrated (focused) with the LED, therefore rather pointless to make the LED replaceable.

I have worked in loads of houses where GU10 LEDs have failed after 6 months.

The quality of them is very variable (like most things, I guess).

Can I just add that I am not totally convinced that LEDs last "forever" although I do agree that they could have the potential to do so.
Depends upon manufacturer to a large extent.
So Harry I`m not disagreeing with you as such but just adding a small observation.

I didn't suggest 'forever', rather I would expect them to last long enough that they would last long enough, that the fitting itself would be due for replacing anyway. Even the old halogen fittings, when they needed a new lamp, were close to impossible to replace, it was simpler to just replace the complete fitting with new - they seize up and rust.

Harry, I did put “forever” in speech marks to imply not really forever but actually long enough for most folk, so I think we pretty much agree

Harry, I did put “forever” in speech marks to imply not really forever but actually long enough for most folk, so I think we pretty much agree

Pont is - would you agree it's not worth getting a fitting with a replaceable lamp/LED, because likely the LED will outlast the fitting itself?

I have found my bulk head lamp will not take a standard BA22d bulb, I have to use golf ball or candle bulbs.

As far a bulb life goes, mine seem on general to last longer than my sons, he has no SPD's fitted, I have two, but could be just nothing to do with that, just more spikes where he lives.

As far a bulb life goes, mine seem on general to last longer than my sons, he has no SPD's fitted, I have two, but could be just nothing to do with that, just more spikes where he lives.

The biggest killer of LED's, is heat build up. Most fittings are designed for tungsten or halogen lamps, where heat does not really matter to the lamp, so long as the fitting can cope with it. Most fittings are well able to cope with the tiny amount of waste heat from LED's, except the LED's themselves cannot cope with high temperatures, the tiny amount of heat they themselves generate. They need good ventilation, better than most fittings are designed for.

A fitting where the LED is none replaceable, will have been designed from the ground up, for an LED.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back