Recommendations Light Switch 'Smart'? & PIR Batten light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon peeps

I'm wanting to install a new outdoor light in my porch but have the light on a timer and just switchable on and off ad-hoc.

Can I ask a recommended light switch option and would a smart switch be of benefit? i.e. ask 'Alexa' as cannot be bothered to walk to switch it on :cool: Already have plethora of smart plugs for lamps and other devices so another, why not?

Lighting is a new install not tapping in to older and new switch placement will be in under stairs cupboard just simply for ease which leads to next recommendation. Under stairs cupboard is always dark but used for storage and at same time i'd like to install a small LED batten with PIR for timed lighting so basically when I open door and i'm looking for something I can actually see where the hell it is rather than always whipping out the phone torch.

So timer/smart switch & small PIR batten recommendations please

Cheers muchly

Sponsored Links
I use TP-Link (Tapo) smart switches as they have batteries in them so don't need a neutral or any power going through the bulb, and have the option of dusk and dawn switching, work with Nest mini's with voice commands, and the google Home app on phone, but does need a hub which needs to be plugged in some where, but not hard wired to LAN, and hub can double as a door bell. I have needed spacers with some switches with shallow back boxes, but the fact I can use them on PIR controlled lamps is very handy. Batteries can be renewed without removing switch, but as yet never needed to renew them.

Example of settings 1706636966801.png at moment not using the option.

So timer/smart switch

Works with any standard switch of your choice, including when the internet has gone away so you can still operate the light normally regardless of whether the app/internet are working or not.
Other control via their app, or the usual spyware boxes including Alexa, Google and so on.
Fits behind a normal switch, 35mm box recommended and it will need a neutral at the switch.

Sponsored Links
The TP-link will work as standard switch with no internet, but the Energenie works with remote control with no internet or hub direct to switch, don't like the Energenie as had 5 now down to 2 still working, but some were 6 years old so we have had them longer than another smart switch.

But big down side was although did not need a neutral, some bulbs would flicker when on and stay on very dim when off, the load capacitor cured staying on dim, but had to use different bulbs to stop shimmer. Although both G9 bulbs size very different G9-comp.jpg so the covers would no longer fit, so whole chandelier looks very different, lucky wife likes it.

I would think with an outside lamp you will have a neutral, however I now have four hubs, so getting a system which will do all you want is an example, that's how I ended up with Energenie, I wanted TRV's, light switches, and sockets, and it did them all with same hub. Today I would not use built in smart sockets, too much hassle when they go wrong, I use socket adaptors so I can easy remove and also move from place to place as the need arises.

Same with smart bulbs, and switches, if I can use a single bulb then that's a better option, if it goes wrong easy to change. But where you have multi bulbs, then often a switch works out cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back