Recommendations Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week my car was written off. I wont go any further as it still makes my blood boil - needless to say it wasn't my fault.

Now my current car is a 306 and pretty much worthless (1994). As such I'm not holding out for much of a payout. It's kind of left me unstuck as I planned to keep the car for another year and then I would be in a postition to splash quite a bit of cash.

At present I think I could stretch to £6k. I'm looking for a medium hatch, as new as possible, reliable and fairly safe (my partner has to drive it too). I've looked at the new 307 simply because I have a 306. I can get a 2001/02 1.6 Rapier for about £6k. Does anyone have any recommendations for me to look into further?

Thanks for the responses in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
Thoroughly test-drive whatever you look at. Reason I say is that whatever a journalist says in the motoring press, your tastes could be very different. But here are the ones I have tried:

MG ZR: possibly slightly too small for your needs, but great fun to drive over short distances. Low gearing, loud exhaust and stiff suspension makes it tiring on motorway trips. I've not tried the Rover 25. The ZR is the lamb madras of medium hatches. Strong flavour, many might not like it but those who do love it.

Ford Focus: lots of them about, but I don't rate the handling as highly as the journalists do. It's an easy car to drive and the 1.6 is very economical, but in my opinion you need at least a 1.8 (the 1.6 has no power to overtake on motorways without shifting down). It's bland, it's the chicken korma of cars. It's acceptable to everyone, but no-one would ever get particularly thrilled by it.

Vauxhall Astra MK4: I have one, it is a great car but I have had a bit of trouble with the rear brakes on it (to be fair I think I got a Friday afternoon car!). The 1.6 has plenty of grunt compared to the Focus 1.6, but the fuel economy isn't as good. Loads of them about. It's probably a chicken rogan josh: more flavour than the korma, but there are some people who would stick their nose up at it, and it isn't that spicy.

Peugeot 307: I only drove one once and thought it was pretty good, rather large. But you have driven it so you can make your own mind up! I liked the toys. It can't be a curry though, it's French. It's probably coq au vin, big and hearty and comfortingly comforting.

Honda Civic: Absolutely loads of room on the inside, drives really nicely. A friend of mine does over 500 miles a week in hers and hasn't had any problems at all. Probably a biryani of some sort. A lot of people think they won't like it, but if they tried it they would enjoy it... might not buy their own plateful next time though.

Fiat Stilo: A bit funny-looking, but I found it fun to drive as well as being comfortable over long distances. The 1.6 was pretty nippy too. I have been told that some people find the seats give them back-ache, but I didn't find this. Lots of toys, not necessarily useful ones though! Spaghetti bolognaise.

Don't buy an MG, looks like they're about to go bust!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. OK:

MG ZR - Combine the poor build quality with the fact they'll be bust before 5th May and it's a no go.

Focus - Not sure about the Ford - will have to look into it. Probably can't afford the current model and I'd like to have an up to date one.

Astra - Ditto with the model - I'd like an up to date model but not sure if I can afford it. Will investigate though.

307 - It's on the shortlist!

Civic - Now you have aroused my interest!!! Jap reliability must still be good and should be able to afford a new model. Will definatly check it out.

Fiat - no thanks!

Keep 'em coming...... :D

Honda Civic: Absolutely loads of room on the inside, drives really nicely. A friend of mine does over 500 miles a week in hers and hasn't had any problems at all. Probably a biryani of some sort. A lot of people think they won't like it, but if they tried it they would enjoy it... might not buy their own plateful next time though.

We had a Civic, nothing but mechanical problems for three years. In the end we took it back to the dealer. Its was in the garage at least once a month sometimes more. I lost count of how many times the valve clearances were adjusted and how many sensors and ECU's were replaced. Will never have another. :evil:

We now have a Renault Scenic, magnificent car, which i would thoroughly recommend.

nstreet said:
We now have a Renault Scenic, magnificent car, which i would thoroughly recommend.

I rented a Renault Megane 1.5 DCi in Europe a few weeks ago. Loved the styling but thought it was underpowered and the interior let it down. The scenic is a bit to large for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Civic.

Ford Focus good car, not too many problems in general. Good power from the Zetec engine 1.6.

MG ZR.. Based on the Rover 100. In my opinion leave it alone, looks good, but you will lose money fast, poor second hand value.

Astra good car, but poor cabin. looks cheap. Engine great.

Honda Civic... Can't go wrong on this car, great engine, Good power, holds value, looks great, best buy for the money.

Reno Clio, 1.6. Good engine, good power. nice inside, Great shape, looks
fantastic, For 6K you will get a great deal, Downside, second hand value drops quite quick, unless you change it in the next couple of years.

Reno Megan. Can't fault the model, great car.

Best car from my short list..Honda Civic. Jap car at it's best

Good hunting
Quick Fit

Yes, Rover/MG is probably best left alone for a while until they decide what is happening. The interior in the 25/ZR is dated (I took a ZR for a test-drive in 2001 and the interior was virtually identical to my Dad's 216GTi of 1992 (yes, different shape exterior, same shape interior!) But they are a real drivers' car.

nstreet, was yours the latest-shape Civic? It could be a case that you got a bad one, in the same way that I have had a couple of problems with my Astra brakes but everyone else I know with one has had no problems at all.

A Clio 1.6 petrol would probably fly along. My mate has the Clio 1.5 dCi (not sure if 65 or 80bhp), that isn't bad for performance, there is now a more powerful 100bhp version too. He gets insane mpg, we did a road trip once where he got well over 500 miles on a tank of diesel, and that included a lot of miles on windy roads in Yorkshire and Wales. I think it was averaging 65 or so :eek:, but don't quote me on that. Not bad compared to the 15mpg of the MG ZT 4.6l V8 I was in the other week! :LOL:

Clio might be a bit small if you want the same space as your 306 though. I would think a 1.5 diesel in a Megane would be underpowered, you have satisfied my curiosity there! :D

I know we don't NEED powerful engines, but there is nothing worse than pulling out to overtake, flooring it and finding that nothing happens. :rolleyes: I had an Opel Agila 1.2 in Italy the other week... drove down a few "Super Strada", where the speed limit is 150kph/95mph (why bother?!)... The car JUST managed to do it, in fact at one point I managed to get it to a smidge over 160kph by virtue of a very long straight and a hill :LOL:

[quotenstreet, was yours the latest-shape Civic? It could be a case that you got a bad one, in the same way that I have had a couple of problems with my Astra brakes but everyone else I know with one has had no problems at all.
[/quote]

Yes it was the new shape. Granted, it could have been a Friday afternoon job, but it was an absolute nightmare. It's also virtually impossible to return a faulty car, unlike a tv or other appliance.

I reckon the Astra Diesel is a very good choice for this type of money. I have a 1.7 CDTI estate which is a year old but the old shape. Nothing exceptional in any area but nothing to bad either. Really economical in use, we get 62 mpg on long motorway runs and 52mpg overall. Insurance is OK too. No racing car but not bad really. I have just seen these on AutoTrader site and it will give you an idea what £6000 buys.These were at main dealers so you should be able to get them a bit cheaper than this, however they are low mileage, but basic versions. Club or LS are better specced than these.
2002 51 Reg Vauxhall ASTRA 1.7 DTi Envoy 5dr, 5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 19,975 miles, Green, Driver airbag, Passenger airbag, Anti theft protection, Power steering, Central locking, Electric front windows, Radio, Third brake light.
2002 51 Reg Vauxhall ASTRA 1.7 DTi Envoy 5dr, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 28,008 miles, Blue, Driver airbag, Passenger airbag, Anti theft protection, Power steering, Central locking, Electric front windows, Radio, Third brake light.
Have a look on the Autotrader site to give yourself some other idea's. You may have to register for a full search.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

Thanks for all the responses! I'm off to test a few out this weekend. Will let you know how I get on..........

david and julie said:
Club or LS are better specced than these.

Mine is an LS and the main stuff it has above the base versions is probably: aircon, leccy windows, 8-speaker CD, really comfy seats, 3x three-point seatbelts in the rear (very useful when you are travelling 5-up), 3x rear headrests, rear armrest, ski-hatch, no less than 7 places to put your drink (although you can only really use 5 seeing as two are in the glovebox door :confused: ).

Also the locks sound better than most other cars (makes a really solid clunk when you deadlock it) :LOL:

Voicey, before you dive for your chequebook when you have found your replacement motor do consider the insurance implications, please? You infer that the insurance issue is resolved, you are blameless and that your NCB remains intact. Even so, you are still pretty certain to be facing a bigger premium when you come to renew. It seems to be yet another scam that the insurance industry are able to foist on the British public. I made the following post a couple of weeks back:

www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22914&highlight=

Good luck in anycase.

Sponsored Links
Back