Recommended method for cutting kitchen base unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to trim the back of an MFI kitchen base unit. Unfortunately the edge butts up against a wall and while a fridge is almost certainly going to cover it, I need it to at least look decent. What I want to know is how best to cut the unit to avoid splintering. I have a Bosch jigsaw with a pendulum/conventional cut so should I just get a blade recommended for laminates, like the reverse cutting Bosch T101BR? Alternatively, am I better off attempting to use a hand saw (bearing in mind I'm not great at sawing straight!)?

Sponsored Links
phykell said:
I have a Bosch jigsaw with a pendulum/conventional cut so should I just get a blade recommended for laminates, like the reverse cutting Bosch T101BR? Alternatively, am I better off attempting to use a hand saw (bearing in mind I'm not great at sawing straight!)?
That's the way to go, you could also score it with a stanley knife before cutting, if you want to use a handsaw then use a stanley jet-cut as they have three ground cutting edges.

It's worth sealing the cut edges as well - generous coat of PVA will do, cost very small, and these units hate moisture.

heeellooo pykell
i agree with masona about the jet cut[watch them teeth they are sharp :oops: ]
if your hand sawing you can also clamp or screw a batton along the line[the side your keeping]
this will help you saw in a strait line and reduce splintering any screw holes will be minimal and can either be filled with the plastic screw caps you get with the units or a tiny spot of silicone
and as said above by keyplayer all exposed edges to be sealed especialy near the sink

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I've bought a reverse cut blade now, and I'll try that on the side which isn't showing first. If that doesn't work out, I'll buy a Jetsaw and try that. The baton idea sounds interesting. Again, one to try if my hand-sawing starts to look ropey ;)

Good tip about the PVA, I'll definitely do that.

if you have a down cut blade it will splinter on the opposite side to what your cutting so inside for normal blade outside for down cut

but practice on scrap the down cut will push the saw up so youve got to put extra preasure to stop it jumping as well as trying to guide it not easy

I see, so that's how I should've cut my laminate flooring all those years ago - if only these fora had been around then!

Yes, I forgot to mention that, also hold on to the jig-saw until the blade stop.

masona said:
Yes, I forgot to mention that, also hold on to the jig-saw until the blade stop.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;) fun fun fun not as bad as letting go of a belt sander or planner before its stopped :oops: :oops:

The belt sander accident happen to my mate and ripped half his trousers :!: So we cut the other leg of the trousers to make into a short, the wife didn't understand when he went out in long trousers then came back in short trousers :LOL:

If the back panel is thin you can use a 1/4" collet router with a TC bit to cut it and leave a perfect edge, using a guide. The 19mm stuff takes longer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back