Recommended underlay - soundproofing & underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I’m planning a flat refurb and currently looking at flooring. I’ll be going for an engineered wood floor (presumably laid as a floating floor), and I’ll be using (water) underfloor heating. I’m ripping everything up (all existing floorboards etc), so effectively starting pretty close from scratch.

Given problems I’ve had with the flat above, I’d like to make sure I have some decent soundproofing (especially impact noise) so as not to overly disturb the flat below. (The flat I moved in has wooden floors, laid directly on top of old floorboards, so it’s currently pretty noisy for the flat below).

Does anyone have any suggestions for what the best course of action would be, and what kind of underlay I can use that will be good for impact noise reduction, but also be appropriate for underfloor heating? There are some decent looking rubber underlays (eg QA Timbertech), but if they’re too thick presumably they won’t allow the underfloor heating to do its job. Any ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back