Reconfiguration of kitchen - ball park cost ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - sorry if this is not the correct forum to post in.

I was looking for a ball park cost of a job im looking to do. Ive had some trade folk in, and waiting on plans from engineer. Just itching to know rough cost.

The job

Erect partition wall between lounge and dining area - approx 8x8 ft

take down load baring wall between dining area and kitchen, install load bearing beam - wall approx 9x8ft

Install the exisiting kitchen units (were installed on above load bearing wall) and install against new partition wall

Remove existing double glazed windows, and install french doors to garden

remove existing window and door to back, brick it up, and install double glazed window

extend existing kitchen worktop by approx 3 ft, and install new sink in this. Pipe work only needs extended by a few feet

some new electrical sockets installed

some plastering involved

Ive been told by 2 contractors that it should take around 2 - 3 weeks - but still waiting on engineer drawings for load beam.

Just eager to know ball park cost. Is it 5k? 15k ? no clue. Cheers

Sponsored Links
I can't really comment on the kitchen install but I got identical structural work done a few weeks ago.
Remove and brick up existing back door
Remove dining room window and install patio doors (I supplied these myself)
Install beam and take down wall
Fireproof and box in steel work
Make walls good and plaster

This took 3 to 4 days, but that included fitting my old double glazed back door as a side door in my garage

That came in at £1400, you should factor in around 200ish for the engineer to do your drawings and spec steelwork.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I can't really comment on the kitchen install but I got identical structural work done a few weeks ago.
Remove and brick up existing back door
Remove dining room window and install patio doors (I supplied these myself)
Install beam and take down wall
Fireproof and box in steel work
Make walls good and plaster

This took 3 to 4 days, but that included fitting my old double glazed back door as a side door in my garage

That came in at £1400, you should factor in around 200ish for the engineer to do your drawings and spec steelwork.

Hope this helps

Thanks GB, funny you had a similar job. Lets hope my quotes a near yours ! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Last September we had pretty much the same done, excluding any of the kitchen fitting/removal as I did it we paid £1100, we supplied the French doors and I removed the electrics from the load bearing wall so we saved there too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back