Ball Park cost of Heating Installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to look at a flat.

The biggest issue I see with it is the fact that at the moment the only source of heating is the wall mounted air-con style ones, and hot water heated by an immersion heater in the tank. I can only imagine that will get very expensive at today’s prices.

No gas supply to the property so I’m wondering if anyone can give a ball park cost for an air source heat pump install for a property of just under 900 sq ft with five rooms. Would think it would run rads rather than UFH if practical. Would there be a decent saving in heating costs?

Also, would an electric combi boiler be a good option?

They will accept a lower offer on the flat so I can f@ tor costs in.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If the heating is already done via A2A cassettes then it should actually be pretty good aslong as the building has good airtightness and is insulated well. You will need to check what is actually running their heaters, do they also do cooling?

Since it is a flat is there not a building hot water source?

No, it’s a converted flat of what use to be a small terrace of houses, probably 1930s built, and it has its own hot water tank in a cupboard in the kitchen.

The heaters must run directly off the electricity supply and it’s not a communal system as the property next door appears to have oil judging by the metal chimney in the corner. I don’t think they do cooling as I couldn’t see any external units.

The flat (marionette) is ground floor with one other above. I don’t think it’s got much in the way of insulation - solid floors, solid walls, and obviously any loft insulation is above the first floor flat. It does have double glazed windows but they are probably around 20 or 30 years old.

Electric combi boilers are horribly expensive to run and will give a very poor hot water supply unless you have a 3 phase electric supply.

I doubt very much if an ASHP would be suitable for you. You'd be better off looking at air conditioning, and a direct electric unvented cylinder for your hot water

Sponsored Links
Thanks. What would be the benefit of air conditioning, in place of the current wall hung heaters (other than the obvious summer cooling).

Don’t know. Obviously part of the freehold but the one I looked at is ground floor with another flat above.

No, it’s a converted flat of what use to be a small terrace of houses, probably 1930s built, and it has its own hot water tank in a cupboard in the kitchen.

The heaters must run directly off the electricity supply and it’s not a communal system as the property next door appears to have oil judging by the metal chimney in the corner. I don’t think they do cooling as I couldn’t see any external units.

The flat (marionette) is ground floor with one other above. I don’t think it’s got much in the way of insulation - solid floors, solid walls, and obviously any loft insulation is above the first floor flat. It does have double glazed windows but they are probably around 20 or 30 years old.
Could be a solid fuel chimney - could you get an oil tank/boiler installed ? Freeholder could stymie that.

Could be a solid fuel chimney - could you get an oil tank/boiler installed ? Freeholder could stymie that.
Yeah, could be some kind of solid fuel system.
Given it’s location next to the external doorway seems unlikely it’s any kind of feature wood burner or multi fuel stove though.

Yeah, not sure how the freeholder would feel about locating an oil tank.

1/3 of the cost to run the heating. Possibly even less.
Is it possible that the existing wall hung units are ready to be connected up to an external air conditioning pump? I don’t know, but they look very similar to the combined air con / heating units in my office.

If so, would there be any cost saving in replacing or connecting to air con?

No, as AC units don't work on their own, they must be connected to the matching external unit(s).

They are either already AC which is connected and working, or they are something else which looks similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back