recycling bottles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of our recycling boffins please explain how recycling one bottle can save 100watt/hours of energy? This is claimed by our local recycling company.

Sponsored Links
your talking about saving 1p ish

1 recycled bottle uses less energy because

instead off transporting to the tip its transported to the glassworks
you do not import raw materials to the factory

old glass needs less energy to turn into a bottle

but doesnt the bottle have to be transported to a glassworks that is further away than the local landfill site?

there are very few places in britain where the correct sand is found and redhill surrey is one off them we used to send sand to warrington £200 miles away

and dont forget recyled glass is gong to be 97 or 98% pure where as the raw ingredience are going to have a higher % wastage

Sponsored Links
i know but all im saying is where are the glass recycling factories. we certainly dont have industry like that near us, so they are going on a long trip, further than the local landfill site

like all recycle scemes they only happen if cost efective as in recycling is cheaper than new ;)

Whats going to happen to the poor old bottle collectors of the future ? :eek:
Very few bottles to dig up would equate to severe competition ....followed by countrywide unrest....and resulting in complete and utter bottle collecting CHAOS. :evil: ;)

i know but all im saying is where are the glass recycling factories. we certainly dont have industry like that near us, so they are going on a long trip, further than the local landfill site

try pilkinton at worksop ;)

A lot of interesting replies but I am surprised no one has mentioned the ultimate recycling of the past. The modern recycling buffs are full of ideas but it's all been done before, until the moneymen got involved. Milk was delivered in bottles which were rinsed, returned and sterilised and refilled. "Pop" bottles had a refundable penny deposit and were reused. Shops used paper bags for sweets and biscuits and fruit. The recycling was endless and did'n't need council jobsworths to jusify their existance with petty rules

Before putting bottles in the recycling bin, they should be securely wrapped to stop them being broken.

Sponsored Links
Back