Recycling food packaging

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
Our council takes general waste one week, then recyclables (glass/plastic/cans) another, food waste every week. Food containers are cleaned out and put in the bin, but with rising fuel prices, who will still be cleaning packaging (if you already do) ? Cost of hot water and all that.

Sponsored Links
Wifey puts them in the DW. Vexes me but the thing's on anyway.
At the moment, a lot of recycling is barely worth it if you take fuel costs into account. Ie there's more fuel used in recycling than there is in making from raw materials but it is/was worth it because the material's free.

Hey I've got an idea, how about reusable milk containers....:rolleyes:.

iv stopped using hot water for the dishes, I’ve found that cold water does the job just as well. I wash my hands under the cold tap in the bathroom too, because by the time the hot water comes from the boiler to the tap, the job is done.
I still like a hot shower though and let’s face it, using the boiler once a month for hot water isn’t going to break the bank.

Sponsored Links
But how do you decide which month to have a shower? Or is it when you run out of mugs and have to wash some so you might as well do your nads while you're at it??

Why you washing the empty containers , that’s taken care of when they are recycled .

They were washed because the councils ask for them to be washed, otherwise they could contaminate an entire batch and that entire batch gets wasted (landfill not recycled).

I have stopped using hot water to wash them, if they will not clean with cold water then they just go into the general waste bin.
If I ever have to have a water meter fitted then that too will stop - no more washing.

As much as I am passionate about reuse & recycling I am also passionate about using my money for me & my family so I'm not prepared to spend any on recycling.

Our council takes general waste one week, then recyclables (glass/plastic/cans) another, food waste every week. Food containers are cleaned out and put in the bin, but with rising fuel prices, who will still be cleaning packaging (if you already do) ? Cost of hot water and all that.

If you wash up your plates and pans, you can slosh cans and jars in the water when you have finished. If you have a dishwasher you can fit a few in when running it. Your bin will not stink or attract flies.

The cost of hot water, if you have a boiler, is trivial

They were washed because the councils ask for them to be washed, otherwise they could contaminate an entire batch and that entire batch gets wasted (landfill not recycled).

I have stopped using hot water to wash them, if they will not clean with cold water then they just go into the general waste bin.
If I ever have to have a water meter fitted then that too will stop - no more washing.

As much as I am passionate about reuse & recycling I am also passionate about using my money for me & my family so I'm not prepared to spend any on recycling.

What do you think a gallon of water costs?

Sponsored Links
Back