Recycling centre DIY waste charges

At the local tip, last week, the jobsworth bloke said as I was dumping used fluorescent tubes in the fluorescent bin, 'maximum of 2 tubes', so I says 'I have 6 lights in my garage, so what do I do with the other 4'! No reply from the jobsworth !!!

Why so heavy on the “jobsworth”? Would you , assuming you are employed, refuse to follow your bosses legal orders and policies ?

Sponsored Links
At what point did every other taxpayer become liable to subsidise your kitchen refurb?

Where do we draw the line & say "that's abuse" of the original intent of these household waste recycling centers???

At what point did every other taxpayer become liable to subsidise your kitchen refurb?
And that's the rub. Every other jobbing tradesman, with a small enough van, feels they're entitled to dump endless trade waste into municipal skips.
I'm a big fan of hiring skips.

And that's the rub. Every other jobbing tradesman, with a small enough van, feels they're entitled to dump endless trade waste into municipal skips.
I'm a big fan of hiring skips.
I can produce invoices for 8yd mixed waste skips for £60 from not all that long ago. Have you seen the price nowadays???

Sponsored Links
I can produce invoices for 8yd mixed waste skips for £60 from not all that long ago. Have you seen the price nowadays???
About £315 sterling (8 yarder) plus another £60 +VAT for plasterboard.

Last edited:
I emailled my local council again to ask for an update, the reply:

The guidance issued by Government doesn’t abolish charges but allows for 2 x 50L bags to be taken to the recycling centre up to 4 times in a 4-week period. Our current free allowance is 1 bag free of charge per visit. In both cases charges can be made after this allowance.

We are awaiting Government to inform local authorities of the implementation date.

So it's already being rowed back a bit. Depending on how you look at it, 2 x 50L bags 4 times in 4 weeks could be interpreted as lowering the allowance compared to the existing 1 bag per visit (with no limit on visits).

No mention of plasterboard, for which there is zero free allowance at my local recycling centre. I've tried looking for this guidance but haven't found it published.

Asked for further clarification...

Also consider the same people preaching to us to use our cars less are encouraging us to use our vehicles more.

As my colleague mentioned we are still waiting for more information from the Government concerning the new legislation and until we receive that, our current rules will remain the same.

The guidance mentioned below was included in the Government’s response published on the GOV.UK website (https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...-responses-and-government-response#next-steps). If you click on “Next Steps” you will see it there.

It is unfortunate that you were unable to obtain any information from DEFRA and it might be worth trying to contact them again.

Reply from DEFRA, bold emphasis mine.

Dear TeaAndBiscuits,
Thank you for your emails of 28 July and 30 October to the Defra Helpline about DIY waste
charges. I have been asked to reply and I apologise for the delay in doing so.
In 2015 the Government introduced legislation to prevent local authorities from charging
their residents to dispose of household waste at Household Waste Recycling Centres
(HWRCs). Waste & Resources Action Programme also issued guidance that classifies DIY
waste as household waste if it results from work a householder would normally carry out
and therefore should not be charged for. The Government supports that position.
Defra also made a commitment to review charging arrangements for DIY waste in the
Resources & Waste Strategy.On 11 April 2022 we launched a consultation on our proposal
to amend legislation so that householders cannot be charged for disposing of DIY waste at
HWRCs. This consultation closed on 4 July 2022. The Government response was published
on 18 June 2023.
We will now amend legislation to ensure householders do not face financial barriers to
dispose of their DIY waste. We expect legislation to come into force at the end of the year.
Yours sincerely,
Ministerial Contact Unit

OK so end of the year apparently. We'll see.

Ripped the kitchen ceiling down bagged i up in rubble sacks
Takes it to the tip in the car and jobs worth asks me if im trade
I says nope own house
Are you sure you seem very organised
EH ?
Well you have it all bagged up ready to tip
What do you expect me to just throw it into my car unbagged
Yeah thats what some people do .
Shove off mate common sense tells you to bag it away and waste someone elses time

A mate used to restore sliding sash windows. He routinely paid for a guy in a cage van to dispose of the bulk of his waste. On occasion however, he would have very small amounts to get rid off. He would bag it up in rubble sacks, then put those bags into a black bin bag, send his missus down to the dump, and she would throw them in the general waste area.

Going back to your post... my local dump would insist on photos if you were dumping a chipboard wardrobe. A free standing wardrobe, was free to dispose of, if it was built in, you had to pay.

Why so heavy on the “jobsworth”? Would you , assuming you are employed, refuse to follow your bosses legal orders and policies ?
Wanted to take something home that someone else was tipping. They guy watched me take it out of their boot and walk over and put it in mine.

"Oi, you can't do that, all waste is our property now!"

I invited him to call a Bobby and told him the waste in question had not touched the ground and to go away.

Now that's jobsworth.

Decades ago we used to dump all the work cardboard etc up the tip till one day they said nope take it back and made the guy load the van back up . Took the guy a few week but he filled a bin bag full of dog shyte then stuck a few bits of copper in it sticking out , back up the tip holds the bag up and says ok to drop this .
Yep the guy says with big smile .
As he drove away he watched the guy rip bag open and get covered in dog shyte

Sponsored Links
Back