Recycling centre DIY waste charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I did search multiple ways and drew a blank. A bit surprising considering the nature of the forum but hey-ho.

Anyway.... My local tip/Household Waste Recycling Centre charges for DIY waste - ceramics and rubble first bag is free, then charged. Plasterboard is charged in its entirety. I'm sure this is the same/similar for everyone else here.

Back in June the Environment Minister announced that these charges would be abolished (hooray!) but didn't state a date for this to happen:

I emailed my local council to ask and received the reply:

The Government has confirmed that DIY waste charges would be abolished and that they would come into effect later this year. We are still waiting for confirmation as to when this will come into effect.

Once we have more details we will update our website and Social Media sites.

So I emailed DEFRA a month ago hoping to improve on 'later this year' and received no reply.

Anyone else have any info on when this is due to come into effect?

Sponsored Links
Ripped the kitchen ceiling down bagged i up in rubble sacks
Takes it to the tip in the car and jobs worth asks me if im trade
I says nope own house
Are you sure you seem very organised
EH ?
Well you have it all bagged up ready to tip
What do you expect me to just throw it into my car unbagged
Yeah thats what some people do .
Shove off mate common sense tells you to bag it away and waste someone elses time

Ripped the kitchen ceiling down bagged i up in rubble sacks
Takes it to the tip in the car and jobs worth asks me if im trade
Lucky you - jobsworths at my local tip want charge for waste if you go to the tip in an estate car (or Hatchback/SUV) with the back seat folded.

Sponsored Links
Lucky you - jobsworths at my local tip want charge for waste if you go to the tip in an estate car (or Hatchback/SUV) with the back seat folded.

I have a VW T6 transporter kombi - if I go there with the back seats in they may let me in free

take out the back seat to put larger items in, like a bed and I get charged every time

what nonsense

All free here as well. Plasterboard. Rubble. Fridges ect.
I think it's down to whoever runs the tip on behalf of the council. 15 years ago it was only 3 fence panels and no DIY waste. Only household waste. I think fly tipping increased so that was scrapped.
They have got restrictions on trailers and vans here but not sure what that is? Size and only certain times i think.You have to book a visit online with 30min time slots with your car. Not a problem and saves the queue.
Also they won't take car tyres now, but anything else is ok. Guess we are lucky. Maybe worth trying other tips outside your area if not too far.

Last edited:
Waste plasterboard and related gypsum products, now have to be separated from hired skips. We now have tonne sack next to the skip, simply to contain all the waste plasterboard etc. I think that is an additional £60 +VAT and gets picked up along with the skip.

Last edited:
Why would a private householder have car tyres for disposal?
Wouldn't you just leave them at kwik fit or wherever, when you got a tyre changed?
cheaper to buy a tyre and a rim off ebay and likes than buy brand new so people then have a rim and tyre to get rid of

At the local tip, last week, the jobsworth bloke said as I was dumping used fluorescent tubes in the fluorescent bin, 'maximum of 2 tubes', so I says 'I have 6 lights in my garage, so what do I do with the other 4'! No reply from the jobsworth !!!

The tip near me takes tyres and engine oil. I often run a car full of tyres or 8 x 25litre drums of waste oil down there and empty it into their big oil container.

The recycling centres in this area allow you to drop off four tyres and engine oil twice a year.

Ours takes engine oil no problem and they have a bin for the contaminated 5L containers once you've emptied them into the big IBC.

Last time I took a load of used filters as well, the bloke said to me 'we can't take those, you'll have to put them in your wheelie bin'

Make it make sense!

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I did search multiple ways and drew a blank. A bit surprising considering the nature of the forum but hey-ho.

Anyway.... My local tip/Household Waste Recycling Centre charges for DIY waste - ceramics and rubble first bag is free, then charged. Plasterboard is charged in its entirety. I'm sure this is the same/similar for everyone else here.

Back in June the Environment Minister announced that these charges would be abolished (hooray!) but didn't state a date for this to happen:

I emailed my local council to ask and received the reply:

So I emailed DEFRA a month ago hoping to improve on 'later this year' and received no reply.

Anyone else have any info on when this is due to come into effect?
there are so many ways to annouce it and for it to be free then the wormy squirmy words they can use like "we dont control the private company operating our services "
or recategorizing material or throwing articles off proof required to use for free progressively more difficult
this government is great at promising everything to every one as long as not a single extra penny has to be spent or any income lost so look for getout clauses or someone else paying for it like the ratepayers

Sponsored Links
Back