Recycling

Who should be sorting out rubbish for recycling?

• The Public

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Sorting/Recycle Centres

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let's be honest the current system albeit in it's infancy is a bit of a mess, what with stuff getting mixed up and still going into general waste.

It has to be questioned why are we having to seperate rubbish at home anyway, what with unemployment and too many people claiming benefit who could be working, offenders who could be working instead of lounging in overcrowded cells etc

For the person at home having to deal with this task it is really getting the job done on the cheap, instead, investing in the building of sorting/recycling centres which could employ loads of people and perhaps give the economy a kick start it needs rather than take the rubbish to landfill it could be dropped off at these sorting stations.

Even the stuff they call general waste could be put to use if a bit of thought is given, in the past such ideas as granulating or crushing has produced diverse products such as road surfacing material or even baths!

To just offload all the responsibility on the public is I believe lack of ideas and thinking by government.

We should have our top scientists working on ways to deal with the problems of decompisition and the like.

Obviously people need paying so the centres would have to be well thought out and productive in what they produce out of the recycling in order to part finance the project.

Sponsored Links
To just offload all the responsibility on the public is I believe lack of ideas and thinking by government.

"The public" (we) generate the waste, the public (we) should take some responsibility for it's treatment.

We should have our top scientists working on ways to deal with the problems of decomposition and the like.

They may not be the "top" scientists, but work is being done on dealing with "waste". It's likely to be treatment by bacteria that will eventually be used.

"The public" (we) generate the waste, they (we) should take some responsibility for it's treatment.
That is true but until something is done to sort out the problems such as excessive packaging and the like causing the generation of vast quantities of waste the public shouldn't be "used", as I said before it would help with employing more people and after all isnt it part of being in society to have a job and a means of paying your own way?

The "excessive packaging" would not be used if people didn't buy products that used it. There ARE alternatives, but people don't care. They say they care, but watch their actions which tell another story.

Sponsored Links
The waste has to be sorted before it gets mixed up. If paper has a load of raw chicken tipped on top of it then it becomes a bio-hazard which can't be recycled.

The "excessive packaging" would not be used if people didn't buy products that used it.
I agree. There needs to be penalties imposed on manufacturers that include "unnecessary" packaging - once they're hit in the pocket they'll start to reduce the level of packaging.
There ARE alternatives, but people don't care. They say they care, but watch their actions which tell another story.
It's easy to say that people don't care; what is more realistic is that it's often more convenient to continue to buy the product they know. I'm assuming that part of your "alternatives" would be the use of markets that sell fresh produce with little packaging - I for one, value my free time and so shop online. To do all my shopping at a market searching for products with less packaging would take a good few hours each week and is not something I would be interested in doing. Why not attack the problem at source - force the manufacturers to reduce packaging levels.
Now once that's sorted, we can start to tackle the junk post problem that keeps on clogging up my letterbox on a daily basis! :evil:

Co-operative Cucumbers are now naked, saving 8 tonnes of plastic every year.

See here and here.

Co-operative Food is one retailer that is really making inroads to reduce packaging. ;)

We took a couple of cucumbers off display, because they were a little bendy. Me and a colleague picked them up and started fighting with them :LOL: It was so funny, they break quite easily, there were chunks of cucumber everywhere :LOL: We were in hysterics.

We took a couple of cucumbers off display, because they were a little bendy. Me and a colleague picked them up and started fighting with them :LOL: It was so funny, they break quite easily, there were chunks of cucumber everywhere :LOL: We were in hysterics.
Good job the MD wan't visiting that day ;)

I see we cannot even question the actions of mods now without having the post removed.
All I said was that mod 7's comments about rule 3 - no timewasting posts, doesn't really have any bearing in the general discussion forum as most posts could be seen to be time wasting.

The forum is governed by the equivalent of a third world dictatorship where no-one is allowed to question. It makes a mockery of free speech. It doesn't make any difference whether it is privately owned or not.

Sponsored Links
Back