Red & green twin (strange)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New find on an EICR

4-gang Green & red CPC (2).jpg
4-gang (red & green cpc2).jpg

Sponsored Links
Never come across this type of cable before. A red & green twin that strips like bellwire.

The red is double insulated, but when it's been separated the cpc still has some (a lot) of red on it.

Very strange.

(none of my work by the way o_O)

Never come across this type of cable before. A red & green twin that strips like bellwire. The red is double insulated, but when it's been separated the cpc still has some (a lot) of red on it. Very strange.
Very strange, indeed!

The green (plus 'a lot of red') looks to be fairly loose on the conductor, as if it were sleeving rather than insulation ...

upload_2021-4-18_14-34-41.png
upload_2021-4-18_14-34-57.png

Kind Regards, John

It does look a bit like that John, but I think it's just a bit brittle perhaps. I'll take a closer look when I go back.
You can see where they're not actually parted (as a pair) that the colour continues.

Sponsored Links
It does look a bit like that John, but I think it's just a bit brittle perhaps. I'll take a closer look when I go back. You can see where they're not actually parted (as a pair) that the colour continues.
Agreed, but the thing which struck me most (as visible in both the photo-snippets I posted) is that the conductor seems appreciably smaller than the inside of the 'insulation'- which one would expect with sleeving but not with 'moulded on' insulation. Whatever, it's certainly very odd, and, for what it's worth, not something I've ever seen!

Kind Regards, John

it is just that the yellow of the green/yellow sleeving has ripened.........
That was my very first thought - when I looked at the pic but before reading the text which followed. However, when I did read it ...
A red & green twin that strips like bellwire. ... The red is double insulated, but when it's been separated the cpc still has some (a lot) of red on it.

Kind Regards, John

I think it was a banana joke John
I realised that - but, as I said, and despite it being a joke, my first reaction on seeing the photo (without having anything to read) actually was to think that the yellow of G/Y had discoloured over time, becoming red.

'Ripen' is clearly not the word for what I was thinking about since, when bananas (and other things) ripen, then change TO yellow (from green), not FROM yellow :)

Kind Regards, John

Can't think of any actual advantage of using this stuff instead of the more usual 1 core+earth sheathed cable.

3 strands in the core doesn't seem as normal as 7.

Presumably, if this stuff was intended for 240v use, it didn't catch on.

Can't think of any actual advantage of using this stuff instead of the more usual 1 core+earth sheathed cable.
I'm not quite sure what we are being shown. Did the 'switch drops' consist of two separate insulated-and-sheathed singles (the other one presumably being black) plus a separate green CPC - or was there a further sheath around all of them?
3 strands in the core doesn't seem as normal as 7.
The norm for lighting circuits was 3/0.029" (around 1.5mm²), wasn't it - i.e. 3 strands, not 7?

Kind Regards, John

I'm not quite sure what we are being shown. Did the 'switch drops' consist of two separate insulated-and-sheathed singles (the other one presumably being black) plus a separate green CPC - or was there a further sheath around all of them?
The norm for lighting circuits was 3/0.029" (around 1.5mm²), wasn't it - i.e. 3 strands, not 7?

Kind Regards, John
Come to think of it, I think the old imperial lighting wires did have three strands.

Presumably the old switch drops would consist of two or three of these red and green cables. I don't think blacks or neutrals were brought to the switch, particularly around the 1960s as suggested.

I should think the switches were wired to two plate conduit method.

With this method, there would be single sheathed and insulated neutrals running to the lights. most likely without an earth wire.

As I understand it, the red is sheathed and insulated, the green in only insulated, and two are 'stuck together' sort of thing.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back