Red lead sealer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old 'Standard' boiler with a gas compression fitting on the floor of the boiler. This has a very very small leak if knocked. but can be 'set' by a slight tilt. I have repaired this in a safety aware way a few times(Turn off, and purge on turn on) undo and hand brush the red lead coating.
Needless to say there is call for a new coating- I do intend to have a new system shortly- but for the meantime:
Is red lead still used on gas compressions?
Or can I use PTFE tape? (the area only gets warm)
If not, where can I get red lead ?

(I installed all my system in the 'good old days!' but gas piping was tested and connected by B.G.)

Thanks fo any replies in advance

Sponsored Links
I've seen they do special Gas ptfe tape (At the plumbing supplies place) ..... I don't know what the diff is exactly, other than its quite a fair bit thicker than the std ..... I'd glop a load of that around & do it up nice & tight ....... No idea if thats strictly the right way to do it ........ But theres nothing stopping you giving it a burl & I guess putting some jollop on afterwards to check to see if its weeping :)

John. M . DO NOT give advice on matters of gas safety if not qualified to do so!

Bylough. Turn your gas off at meter control,call a CORGI Engineer.

Keith.

wiggikins said:
John. M . DO NOT give advice on matters of gas safety if not qualified to do so!

Keith.

It's a diy site therefore perhaps wrath should be vented on those that ask questions on matters of gas safety......make life a little boring though.

Sponsored Links
wiggikins said:
So that,s fine if OP detonates his own gaff then?

I don't think he's intending to in which case I would say its ok as its in his own house and he obviously was competent to put the system in originally. Checking the current standards and practices is not yet, even in the highly secretive gas world, an official secret.

wiggikins said:

Keith.

Keith ........ Shaddap before ya get a thick lip ...... I Accept that from no one

You tell him John :LOL:

Keith: Anyone can offer advice on this forum and the rights and wrongs of so doing have been debated on many occasions as has the Corgi 'v' Competant DIY'er issue. Search the site if you're interested there's much to read!

If you're not comfortable with this my guess is you're in the wrong place ;)

And, if you wish to offer really accurate advice to the OP, I'd say ... If you're not sure how to do it call someone who is competant to undertake the work ... Not necessarily a Corgi RGI.

MW

Gee guys,
I'm sorry to have caused this controvercy. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't feel I knew what I was doing. I have spent my life in engineering and had good pipe fitter contacts. Also as this is a system fully installed by myself and also has been maintained by removing the burner etc and cleaning all through to the flue
An old 'crude ' setup by todays standard -which I wouldnt touch without being further qualified.

I was about to service the boiler for the last time- (I know this will cause a slight leak of gas on re-assembly-so-maybe better left!) before deciding on a new system
I will have this installed by a Corgi man early in 2008.
I do take advice on this forum and greatly appreciate it.

A thing about retirement- you lose contact with experts and the knowlegable.
Thanks all.

I guess at the end of the day the thing is leaking & you know about it, ideally somthing needs to be done about it really..... Your call :confused:

I must learn not to throw my toys out of the pram on the internet ..... My Bad

probably better get in someone competent to install next time to be honest. zero problem if it had been done right the first time as i'm reading it.

i.e the pipework to the union isnt true and square.

Same goes for me ,John. M. Had a bad day yesterday, still,hope no offence taken!

Thanks guys for all the discussion and advice.
One point though is I probably stated wrong in first post- I don't have a leak at this moment of gas-I have had- but surely will if I dismantl the burner supply in servicing.
In the case of 'getting a Corgi guy to install the gas connection next time' as indicated by 'markplumb' this joint was within the boiler as manufactured (they used redlead on the joint)- which leaked later in use- a bit before I serviced the system.

This leak was found in assessing a need for servicing ie 'checking'- but was very small. (I was able to 'set' it- not to leak)
If I had some redlead or other suitable jointing compound I could fix this ok on servicing the boiler- but I think we can last the winter maybe and have a new boiler and matching system early in the new year (and go greeen!)

I also found the Commadore pump was assembled reverse internally-
which turned towards 'reduced flow when indicating 'increase'!
A mate of mine had his burn out after a service with a pump reset -
"well, they don't last" he was told!

Thanks again
my regards to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back