Redecorating the bedrooms flaky paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've recently moved into a house (10 year old new build, plasterboard walls, tall but narrow design)

The master bedroom seems to be the only room where some of the paint is flaking away. In some places it has come off entirely, in others it has cracked.

It only occurs in the window recesses of this one particular room. All others rooms and window recesses are fine.
The only reason I can think of is that the previous owners had a steam press in this room and it is the room with an ensuite, and so it could be moisture from one of these sources which they didn't ventilate correctly.

We're planning on redecorating this room (fill in holes, repaint, recaulk, etc).

What would be the best way to do this with the flakey window recesses?

I'm guessing chip off all the flakey bits, sand it down, try a thin layer of polyfilla, resand, then repaint?

Sponsored Links
Pictures attached
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Looks like someone applied 100% paint on new plaster.

A mist coat 50/50 paint and water should have been applied first. A mist coat gets in to the plaster and acts as a glue coat for the top coats.

Sand back, fill, sand, patch prime with 50/50 and then decorate whole walls.

It is all plasterboard, does the same apply?

Sponsored Links
It won't just be plasterboard, there will or should be a skin of plaster over the boards. Since plasterboard is paper covered I'd have expected the paint to stick better, not blister as it appears to have done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back