Redo solvent weld joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have connected the break in the run already but found it coming loose. Can I sandpaper off all the glue and redo it as it is? Or would I have to do it the harder way?
Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200612_205327.jpg
    IMG_20200612_205327.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 367
Sponsored Links
Clean up pipe and inside fitting ,and remake the joint. When you say glue ,I assume you are not using glue ,but the correct stuff for the job!!

Sorry, yes, proper solvent weld, gives me a right headache once I catch a whiff of it!!

Sorry, just to clarify, I can solvent weld in the same place on the pipe as long as I clean it up ok?

Sponsored Links
Yup, a bit of 40/80grit and clean up the outside of the pipe and inside of the fitting and then re-solvent weld.

Personally I only coat the outside of the pipe being inserted and not in the fitting itself to avoid a buildup of solvent being left inside the pipe.

If you've already had a solvent weld joint, there is no way you should be able to get it to come apart. Solvent weld is exactly that - a WELD. If you can get it apart then either the materials are not correct (pipe, joint or 'glue') or the mating surfaces were seriously contaminated with something like silicon lubricant.

Those crossing copper pipes look a bit close together or is it camera angle that makes it look that way

It's the camera angle thankfully! It was this I was more concerned about (all strengthened now tho). The last pipework pic is my fault to be fair.

Attachments

• 20200615_094925.jpg
    20200615_094925.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 20200615_094846.jpg
    20200615_094846.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 262
  • Collage 2020-06-13 06_33_36.jpg
    Collage 2020-06-13 06_33_36.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Collage 2020-06-13 06_40_58.jpg
    Collage 2020-06-13 06_40_58.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 239
If you've already had a solvent weld joint, there is no way you should be able to get it to come apart. Solvent weld is exactly that - a WELD. If you can get it apart then either the materials are not correct (pipe, joint or 'glue') or the mating surfaces were seriously contaminated with something like silicon lubricant.

I was moving the soil pipe into position which in turn moved the solvent weld joint. TBH, I don't think I let them set for long enough. I've learned my lesson tho.

Solvent weld sets in minutes, if not seconds, so I don't think it would be that.

What solvent cement are you using? Are you using enough? Are the fittings loose or tight on the pipe?

Thanks Madrab, im using Floplast solvent weld and it was the only joint that failed strangely enough. I made sure I also purchased all the same branded joints (floplast) and the fit was quite snug like the rest of the ones I did. When you ask 'did I use enough', admittedly solvent weld was difficult to paint on the underside of pipe, perhaps that's where I went wrong.

Possibly, may just be one of those things. When inserting the pipe into the fitting always try to make it so it can be twisted through one revolution, it makes sure the cement is distributed evenly or at least try and twist a bit to move the cement about a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back