Reducing height of old floorboards for reuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've taken some old T&G flooring boards from a skip to use for a floor in a small room (10m) in an old cottage. Current flooring is 18mm chipboard but the boards are 28mm x 135mm so I need to lose around 10mm on the boards - maybe slightly less as the room was carpeted.

I don't know what type of wood the boards are - the bare bits I would describe as light salmon pink in colour but the wood 'looks soft' if that makes any sense.

Is 10mm too much to try removing with a belt sander (assuming I can get one) or an edger? Would it be better to try planing the boards down before fitting then finishing with a sander?

Would a pic of the boards help?

Sponsored Links
belt sander 10mm = 10-20 mins a foot

planer thicknesser around 3 passes 3 seconds per ft 3 time so 40-60 seconds a plank take your pick ;)

Many thanks Big All - if there's a risk of me finishing too quickly I'll go for the sander.

sixeighth

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back