Reed Switch Gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ABF7A05D-2D8E-4764-AE3B-CC706F339F80.jpeg 0ED39829-A503-4F71-95E0-6F3940BAF9A8.jpeg
Hi

I’m fitting a wireless (enforcer) system to a house that has various styles of Upvc windows and doors.

I have bought shock sensors for the windows. The sensors also have a reed switch function that I’d like to use on some of the windows.

The problem I have is that some of the window frame profiles are chamfered and it’s difficult to get switch and magnet close together. I fitted a door contact on the french windows by mounting the sensor overhanging the chamfer.

The trouble is some of the windows have larger chamfers.

What is the biggest gap I can leave between switch and the magnet.

What do the pros do when faced with this problem?

Sponsored Links
It’s not the preferred method but you could put the contact on the door and the magnet on the frame.

It’s not the preferred method but you could put the contact on the door and the magnet on the frame.

That would involve the cable bending each time the door was opened, so eventually might fracture.

You can check the maximum operating distance, using a continuity meter. With meter connected to reed, bring the magnet slowly to the switch. A small alloy bracket would allow the magnet to be fixed further out..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back