Referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union.

Referendum of UK membership of the EU

• Terminate our membership.

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Continue but with radical reforms.

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are calling it the Hokey-cokey referendum:

In, out or shake it all about. You need an extra voting option.

Sponsored Links
Well, I voted for stay in but with radical reforms.
Reforms should include, our right to deport criminal elements (without referring to the European Court of Human Rights)
Our right to withhold payments to the EU, until they actually get their yearly accounts passed. The absolute Right to disregard EU Legislation as we see fit. ;) ;) ;)

I think the problem with having a vote by the 'general public' is that probably 90% of the population have not got a clue about either the advantages or disadvantages of either staying in or coming out and you would have people just voting yes or no without making a proper informed decision.
I must admit that really I don't know myself whether its good to stay in or come out, we would need the pros and cons stated in very clear concise language that we could all understand to make the referendum worthwhile.

Sponsored Links
We should get out completely. It's blatantly obvious that attempts to reform this totally corrupt "club" will not work, because the whole nature of the EU is to push for ever more centralized powers and control as it tries to create a dictatorial federal superstate. It's already well on the way to becoming a western European version of the old U.S.S.R.

In his later years, Edward Heath admitted that he was fully aware of the eventual aims when he signed Britain into the then-EEC (in other words, he admitted that the people of this country were told a pack of lies about how it was purely a trading agreement and could never infringe upon our own sovereignty).

option 4

Stay in and become an active and constructive member, instead of hanging about near the door grumbling and criticising.

We'd have to join the Euro to be part of the Franco-Germanic club.

We'd have to join the Euro to be part of the Franco-Germanic club.

I think it's a good thing we didn't join the Eurozone. The way Greece (and to a lesser extent Ireland and Portugal) is/are going, the Euro may well be defunct within a few years. If Greece fails, it will surely bring about the demise of the Euro. As it is no one seems to have any confidence in the Euro as a currency anyway. ;) ;)

option 4

Stay in and become an active and constructive member, instead of hanging about near the door grumbling and criticising.

How many billions of pounds have been handed over to Brussels Eurocrats since we joined the EEC/EU. Twas supposed to be some gigantic trading club, not the monster it has become today. Put it this way Europe is like a football pitch that's 30ft lower at one end.. Guess which end the UK is playing at?

where did you get that from? The Daily Wail?

Do you want to join the single currency, John - or are you just playing at being a Europhile?

where did you get that from? The Daily Wail?

Put it this way JohnD,, We pay in as much in a year as Spain (that popular holiday destination) receives from the EU in a year. The EU still consider Spain to be a "Developing country" and therefore receives much more than they pay in to the club.
Their tourist industry alone pulls in much more than the UK could ever hope to achieve.

You tell me that this is fair and equitable (or am I being narrow minded?)

The Eurozone have their problems, yet it's the UK who's asked time and time again to help out. Didn't the Euro Commissioners realise we had a recession here in the UK as well? (or did they just go ahead safe in the knowledge that any British government would take it lying down, then tax the working population till the pips squeaked?)

That's interesting, John. Can you give me the link to the official site you used that shows net payments and receipts for Spain and the UK, please?

It would be interesting to see how it compares to Germany's net payments, since they have a reputation for paying for other countries' mistakes.

I don't know the 2010/11 Spanish Tourist revenue, do you? How does it compare with UK revenue for "our" financial services sector?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start

UK pays in net £3.5 billion, while Spain takes out net £4.25 billion.

Greece soaks up almost £6 billion.

(I've used £s, as euros are almost equivalent nowadays - and I don't have the symbol on my keyboard!)

Picking on the Spanish this time, their air traffic controllers get a capped average of 200K p.a., and will be capped at 1595 hrs p.a. from 2013 (40 hrs p.w., with over 12 wks off) :eek:

Highest pay grade I could find in UK was "senior management", at £98K (and I bet they don't get 3 months off p.a.)

Sponsored Links
Back