Refurb or replace floorboards in hallways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my carpeted hallway with varnished floorboards. I was planning to sand and varnish the old boards in situ. Here's a pic of the state. There's approx 2-3mm gap around all the boards which has been caulked. There are also pz2 screw heads in all the places where I've lifted carpet which may need to be addressed. I'm not sure how the screw heads would look under varnish.

Now I'm thinking that it'd be much less work and give a better look just to replace them all with engineered t&g boards with stained oak veneer. I'd probably lay 9mm poplar ply, 2mm underlay and glue the boards (floating floor). Its about 30 sqm in total.

Does anyone have any guidance here? Looking for hallway decor ideas on pinterest most of the wooden floors look too clean-cut to be refurbed so it seems most people replace/overlay rather than refurb.

image0.jpeg

Sponsored Links
6mm Ply would be more than enough, ensure you lay a good underlay, 2mm is too thin, look at Duralay Multitex underlay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back