Refurbing a towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Stelrad chrome plated towel rail which has perhaps some rust marks at the back of the rails. I need to get the rail off to tile the bathroom, so I was wondering if you think it's at all possible to refurb this rail? It was quite expensive, as good ones are, but not sure I like any of the new ones around. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They'd need to re-chrome the whole rad, not just the rusty bits, wouldn't be cost effective I wouldn't think.

As Madrab says. They'd have to remove the old chrome, smooth out any rusted bits, then probably nickel plate, copper plate and polish before applying the chrome. At a guess, well over £300. Cost me £100 a few years ago to get a big brass washer chromed, and I'd polished it first.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't mind betting, Stelrad bought a cheap rail that you can get anywhere under any brand, then sold it under their name.....£400 it cost me and it started rusting after two years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back