registration

Oilman said:
Ok, you've had your tantrum , now answer the question, do you use an upstairs room as a dressing room

No. It's a shrine to Two Jags. I stick pins in it.

Nice to see you back in the fray where you belong. ;)

Sponsored Links
In all this discussion you seem to have forgotten the original person who posted the first message about fitting a fire.

He has never stated if he is CORGI registered or not and nobody has even asked him. Perhaps he is? I realise his postings imply he is not but in reality we dont know!

He has mentioned commercial installations but not domestic.

Is he CORGI registered? If not why is he working without the required qualifications?

Tony

In all this discussion you seem to have forgotten the original person who posted the first message about fitting a fire.

He has never stated if he is CORGI registered or not and nobody has even asked him. Perhaps he is? I realise his postings imply he is not but in reality we dont know!

Is he CORGI registered? If not why is he working without the required qualifications?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I've had a look into my chrystal ball but I can't see whether the guy is commercially registered but not domestic so should get domestic registration to fit a fire, or is not registered in his own right, just registered as an employee and so isn't aloud to do govy work, or isn't registered, or is a corgi inspector testing our metal, or non of the above. Only one answer, open book.

Agile said:

Tony

Just another one of those wind up posts Tony to keep us all on our toes.

Paul Barker said:
...From a common sense point of view if you write to the council and say "since nobody can point me to a specific law which states I cannot register this fire with you myself, so here I am", they will laugh at you. If you have sufficient funds to take them to court and so make the law (because that is how law works, it is the result of previous trials) you will creat the very law you are looking for at your cost.
You have a rudimentary understanding of the law of precedent, but you've drawn the wrong conclusion.

Firstly, the English Law comprises Common Law and Statute Law. Common Law is the law of precedent, which is written, contrary to your belief, in the form of judgements that have been held in the past. Statute Law comprises the acts that have been passed in Parliament and signed by the head of state, who is the reigning monarch.

Paul Barker said:
Just because something isn't writen in law, doesn't mean you can do it.
Er, yes it does.
Paul Barker said:
It is implied in the laws statutes and practices that exist, and should it become necessary can be proved in law, then it is law.
This is a fallacy - there is no such thing as implied law. Nor is there any "verbal" law, or even "common sense" law.

oilman said:
........only ............... Corgi registered installers, can register an installation of a gas fire.

But what law makes this specific demand?
It's in Statutory Instrument 1998 No. 2451, "The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations 1998", which states as follows:

PART B

GAS FITTINGS - GENERAL PROVISIONS

Qualification and supervision
3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

The class of persons referred to at the end of the last paragraph, above, are those people who are registered with the body that we know as CORGI. It appears that this power is vested by a mandate issued by the HSE, but I haven't tracked down this mandate yet.

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regs. said:
.......no self-employed person shall carry out any such work.......
The regs. refer to "self-employed" person, not specifically to someone self-employed as a gas fitter, installer or engineer. By a strict literal (legal?) interpretation, it would follow that a self-employed actor or accountant would be equally prohibited from gas work, if not Corgi registered, even if they were competent.

Any thoughts on that?

chrishutt, I agree with your interpretation, which also seems to stand the test of common sense - I can't imagine any reason why the Regs would prohibit gas-fitters but permit actors, accountants and aardvarks :)

Here's what Corgi have to say about it. Notice the word could instead of 'will be'?
DIY can be great fun and a great way to save money. But never DIY with gas. You could be breaking the law, you could be endangering lives and you could have enforcement action taken out against you.

My take on that is that you can DIY even though you could be breaking the law.
I also understand that if you do DIY it is OK so long as you are competent. Now the problem is that its only when something goes wrong that a DIYer could be proved to be incompetent. I believe that they are not firmer on this because of a civil rights issue. Also that if it was illegal to DIY then CORGI are being negligent for not stating so specifically.

If anyone is interested I found that info HERE

All this debate, strife, jobs created, lives saved and expense etc. because Ivy Hodge wanted a cup of tea in 1968 :!: :!: :!:

PVMan said:
Who the fek is ivy hodge ?
Ronan Point. The tower block that partially collapsed due to explosion of gas from leak. Ignition came when aforesaid lady went to make a cuppa.

Well yuou're never going to stop people doing their own work, that's why some of us give help here, you might aswell do it properly.

We uncover loads of diy work or work done commercially by diy guys on the electrical and the gas side. We just put right what we have to once we're involved and take no further action ourselves. Basically we just want to get on with our jobs, we take responsibility for the installation as soon as we work on any part of it so sometimes these diy efforts give us a load of extra work. Don't read that as if we want the work, we want less work thank you, especially right now, because so many peoples' combis are running us ragged. My family haven't seen me before bed time this week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back