registration

Sponsored Links
It occures to me that once the Homeinfowatsitthingermy is on the go, a lot of houses will be going on the market, with the appliances removed, perhaps to be installed in the next house.
The Baker,

anjme said:
...Like it or not, it is the law of the land that only these people, Corgi registered installers, can register an installation of a gas fire.
I'd like to ask a naive question at this point: to which law of the land are you referring? It would be even more helpful if you could refer to a particular part of the statute (or SI) in your reply.

Thanks.

Even though I have to 'suffer' Corgi registration to enable me to work legally, I do not always agree with the policies of the governing body.

Please see

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/section_gas_law/house-owner.asp#changestoregs

I could list pages of codes and BS numbers rules and regulations, however, go to the link above and follow the links within the page.

I do not like many, many things about the law in our country but in order to live as a legal citizen I have to, like it or not, live by the law.

Sponsored Links
He is refering to the building regulation that states that all newly installed gas appliances must be notified to the local building control, this building regulation IS law of the land, registered corgi installers have to inform corgi of their installations as a condition of registration, corgi will then inform the local building control on the installers behalf, should he choose for them to do so, if you install the gas fire you would have to inform your local building control, they will want to inspect the installation and will charge you for this service.
This will only be allowed if you are fitting the gas fire in your own house, if you are fitting the appliance for someone else and are charging for fitting it, that is not allowed, as it would be considered a business activity and you have to be corgi registered to operate like that.

........only ............... Corgi registered installers, can register an installation of a gas fire.

But what law makes this specific demand?

No idea oilman but common sense has to come into the discussion at some point.

From a common sense point of view if you write to the council and say "since nobody can point me to a specific law which states I cannot register this fire with you myself, so here I am", they will laugh at you. If you have sufficient funds to take them to court and so make the law (because that is how law works, it is the result of previous trials) you will creat the very law you are looking for at your cost.

Just because something isn't writen in law, doesn't mean you can do it. It is implied in the laws statutes and practices that exist, and should it become necessary can be proved in law, then it is law.

Most of us know the law is a minefield and you take your life in your own hands walking through it. Thats why the lawyers make a good living because simple folk, like myself, cannot understand half the stuff the 'powers that be' issue out to us mortals as 'Laws of the land'.

So if enough people tell you it is illegal to install a gas fire and you bother to read some of the, easily obtainable, reference materials on it you can expect it to be true. As was said earlier common sense also should prevail. I drive home every night past nine, yes nine, speed cameras within a two mile stretch of road, I could debate all year on the legality of said cameras, I could ignore them and smile as they all flash at me as I drive past at six miles over the 'LEGAL' posted limit, but I don't. I don't because my common sense prevails and I do not want to take a risk on breaking a law of the land that I may not agree or believe but I accept is the law of the land.

Paul Barker said:
Just because something isn't writen in law, doesn't mean you can do it

Chill runs through spine. Indeed that used to be a principle underpinning our legal system but things are changing. Administrators, rather than legislators, now have a nasty habit of laying down rules and presenting them as "the law". I have no idea whether this is the case with Corgi but generally there is a worrying shift of power towards busybodies and executives.

Under the old UK system nothing was illegal unless it was prohibited by law; increasingly this is being turned on its head. The link kindly provided by Anjme had a whiff of this trend.

"CORGI recommends that you arrange safety checks on an annual basis. This is not enforced but there are around 30 deaths in the UK every year..."

OK, there are about 20 million households in the UK, at least half of which have gas (conservative guess). That means 10 million householders are being told in ever-so-slightly menacing language to have a Corgi engineer inspect their appliances annually. Two questions

1. Where are all these engineers?

2. Assuming £100 per inspection, is a billion pounds on saving 30 lives good value?

I think you will find that there are only 18 deaths a year that involve gas safety, put that next to the 28,000 that will die this winter because of fuel poverty, puts things into perspective.

............I do not want to take a risk on breaking a law of the land...........

Is it because it is the law of the land, therefore you will selflessly abide by it, or is it that you selfishly don't want to get caught? I don't care about speed cameras, as except for absent mained lapses which may catch me out, I will NOT get caught. That's the rules of the game. However Corgi seems to have another little game which is to put a slant on the rules in the hope people will think Corgi are giving a definitive answer.

It'll all be ok in 5 to 10 years time when economic pressures may well cause the collapse of the system, HURRAH!!!! :evil:

What makes me laugh is the government are wanting a database on the condition of the housing stock. Like who can afford to bring their house up to present regs? So what's the point finding out? My house will fail miserably but will probably still be working maintenance free long after the systems in complient houses fail terminally.

They should leave us alone and let the market decide. If you want a house with all the correct insulation wiring and heating you pay so much, if you don't give a fig you pay so much. In the former case you probably get a pokey little newish house with hardly any wall space to put furniture against, if the latter you have a palatial yet a little cold older house, where occasionally light fittings buzzz.

All so very true. There are countless examples where market and social forces would correct an imbalance more effectively than government interference.

Prescott's triumphantly-named "Pathfinder" scheme in the North is already coming a cropper because perfectly good houses he wants to demolish are shooting up in value.

Speed cameras could go tomorrow if they were replaced by SIDs (speed indication devices). They would reduce casualties too - no doubt about it if you read up on the science of road accidents - while also repairing some of the damage done to police/public relations. But, of course, SIDs don't bring in cash and keep an army of people in pointless jobs.

And why does the government have to get involved with smoking in pubs? It's none of their business. If a landlord thinks he can run a successful pub with a smoking bar, or without one, or with a mixture of both, and the rights of non-smoking employees are protected, then the market will soon find its own level.

Here's one that really got to me. In a council tax questionnaire we received (before the whole revaluation exercise was put on hold, large sums having been wasted already) I spotted a line about use of rooms. They wanted to know if an upstairs room was being used as a dressing room.

What ******* business is it of anyone other than my wife whether I use a particular room for getting dressed? It's not the council's business, nor the government's, nor even my nextdoor neighbour's. If I want to use it for dressing, sleeping, stamp collecting, or to set up a scale model of Euston Station with trains running on schedule 24 hours a day, that's entirely up to me.

Go away, you nosey twots. Get out of my life.

Ok, you've had your tantrum :LOL: , now answer the question, do you use an upstairs room as a dressing room :evil:

silverback said:
I think you will find that there are only 18 deaths a year that involve gas safety

Really?, blimey 2 of those have been within a 5 mile radius of me within the last 3 months :eek: (and no I have never visited either!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back