Regs on fan isolators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently adding an extractor fan to my bathroom (it has an opening window, so doesn't absolutely need one, but I want to try and keep it from getting quite so steamed up!).

I've now core drilled the hole for the ducting, so that's all fine, but I'm now trying to work out where to put the fan isolator switch. The fan itself is outside of zone 2, so it could just go next to it, but I'm not sure how nice it will look - my question is do the regs say anything about where it has to be - can I e.g. put it in the loft above the bathroom (if it makes a difference, it's an MK one that can be locked off with a padlock)?

Sponsored Links
I like to see them above the bathroom door, however there is nothing stopping you placing it outside the zones within the bathroom i.e. directly above or to the side of the fan.

Call me old fashined, but I'd prefer to see a pull switch it it is inside the bathroom.

If you can access the loft above, then the convention would be to have the isolator outside the bathroom above the door.

An isolator in the loft is about as much use as not having an isolator at all.

Why? As long as you know where it is.

How often do you need to use one, anyway?

And is one even needed, given that the room has a window and therefore the fan could be isolated by turning off the lighting circuit (assuming that's how it's powered)?

Sponsored Links
If you are going to do the job, do it right and fit the isolator above the door or at the side near the ceiling. That way it is easy to isolate when your fan goes wrong.

Why is an isolator needed? Logical explanations and applicable regulations welcome.

Why does it have to be above the door or at the side near the ceiling? Logical explanations and applicable regulations welcome.

...the fan could be isolated by turning off the lighting circuit (assuming that's how it's powered)?

That won't isolate the permanent live to the timer circuit. (Which is the very thing that always burns out, and in such circumstance needs to be isolated)

Why is an isolator needed? Logical explanations and applicable regulations welcome.
Often because of manufacturers instructions. You know the reg number.

Why does it have to be above the door or at the side near the ceiling? Logical explanations and applicable regulations welcome.
Doesn't have to be. Nicer though not to operate by accident, and wiring often comes from that direction.

Still, reasonable question. I think a lot of stuff gets done because that's the way it's always done.

That won't isolate the permanent live to the timer circuit.
Huh?

Afaik, A lot of fan instructions now show isolation for lives and neutral, so with a supply from a one way pull switch , technically you are not conforming to the manufacturers instructions, would that violate the regs.

That won't isolate the permanent live to the timer circuit. (Which is the very thing that always burns out, and in such circumstance needs to be isolated)
permanent live should be same circuit as the swithed live I would hope, so the mcb isolates both.

permanent live should be same circuit as the swithed live I would hope, so the mcb isolates both.

But that leaves the bathroom in darkness 'till a spark comes to replace the fan.
Hardly convenient on Christmas Eve.

...the fan could be isolated by turning off the lighting circuit (assuming that's how it's powered)?

Yep - it is always fun when there is no isolator and the fan keeps running 24/7 cos the timer circuit is shot :LOL:

I thought the point of the isolator was for use by the householder during maintenance like cleaning, etc.
Rather than for emergency switching or too disconnect a faulty fan from the circuit.

So during the hours of daylight you turn off the lighting circuit MCB and disconnect the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back