regulations, and making a timber frame myself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a small ( 6m x 4 m ) single storey extension and the architect's drawing refers to a timber frame kit. Can I make up the frame myself in the usual manner, and if so what do I need to organise by way of calculations etc? Do I need a structural engineer, for example?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That is what the architect has drawn- and I think it gives better insulation. I am also much better at joinery than brickwork.
:)

as long as you build to the spec building control will want to see there is no reason that you cant build it yourself. you can buy books on ebay that show you which building control specifications you need to meet.

or pay £10,000,000 to a structural engineer who can make a mess of things themself.

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of a SE being used for an elaborate shed .they have been building timber frame structures like these in the Scandinavian countries for centuries. its about time we did the same . AFFORDABLE EASILY BUILT . PERFECT FOR DIY

You are likely to need an engineer if it's diy. Building Control will not do the calculations for you. At least that's what we were asked to provide for diy timber frames.
Ready kits are used all over the world, but the ones you would buy would come with their in house calculations and responsibility to satisfy building control

oh dear..

one shoe lace inspector on his way to the site..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back