Regulations applied to outdoor wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had an old lean-to removed from the back of my house, and this has disturbed the electrics that lead to the garage at the bottom of the garden. The old wiring was unprotected inside the lean-to but runs inside hosepipe where it goes down the garden. The wiring is not armoured. As the wiring was not being replaced to the garage, the electrician used some plastic conduit to protect the length of wire that is now exposed where the lean-to has come down. He also added a fused connection where is runs out of the house (which is in the kitchen). My neighbour has commented that this isn't legal, but my electrician says that as he isn't installing the wiring to the garage, just moving it whilst the lean-to was removed that this is OK. Please can anyone fill me in on the regulations regarding this and how legal is it? I've tried reading the regulations myself but haven't been able to make much sense of them.

Sponsored Links
"521-04-02 Garden hose may be used as an electrical conduit"

(Yes, I'm being bloody sarcastic!)

The electrician is due back on monday to test everything and give me some paperwork which I assume will be this certificate.

Sponsored Links
The MWC should have any departures from the regs listed on it, personally I wouldn't entertain connecting to a twin and earth cable which is run underground in a garden hose. It should really be SWA or similar for a cable burried directly in the ground.

I take it the wiring to the shed has been disconnected, and the electrician has terminated the wiring from the kitchen using plastic conduit into a FCU on the ouside wall.

That sounds fine as long as it is in water-proof enclosure and that it is also RCD protected.

Should you ever want to rewire the garden shed you would of course use the appropriate sized steel cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back