Regulations question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Think I know the answer to this question as I think it's more common sense than anything ....but I'm no professional and there could be a way
1458198189491-424874155.jpg
My consumer unit is in the bottom of the left cupboard. ...is it possible to have one of the ovens in a cupboard above it rather than above each other as shown in this interpretation or is it way to close?

Sponsored Links
If the appliance shown is one(/two) that can be separated.
Providing the consumer unit is not inconvenienced by any dissipation of heat from the cooking appliance and access to the consumer unit is not obstructed? I can see no reason why it would not comply to any of the wiring regulations.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, the reason I ask is because I want to use 2 separate ovens with slide and hide doors on them and I can only have this configuration if they are side by side apparently.

The main cable from the CU runs up out of the floor from the wall behind it which is external , and I can't foresee any any obstructions to the CU its self , but i'm unsure of the kind of heat displacement it might receive

The main cable from the CU runs up out of the floor from the wall behind it which is external
That is probably the mains feed in from the meter?

As well as that, there will probably be a dozen or more live cables that may be buried in the wall and they may be routed vertically or horizontally from the CU.
So, if you are re-placing your kitchen cupboards, you must take great care that the kitchen fitter doesn't drill into the wall without thinking very carefully about what he/she is doing..

I was wondering if the heat from the oven would downrate the current rating of any cables behind it, like cables buried in insulation

At the moment the house is a bare shell there are no wires or pipes in it anywhere as I have completely stripped it.
So it's getting a rewire and re plumb from scratch and as this is a bungalow most of the wireing will be under the floor hopefully.

I should have mention that not only will the CU be in the cupboard but the meter is also there as this is where the mains cable enters the bungalow from outside

What's on the other side of that wall (on the left)- if the place is a bare shell I'd be looking to put the consumer unit somewhere else. You're allowed 2m between meter and CU I believe, and more if there's a switch/fuse between the meter and the CU. Or maybe look at relocating the meter- yes the DNO will want cash but if you're doing a total refurb their fee (£500 ish last time I enquired) will get lost in the noise.

The other side of the wall is the driveway , the gas meter has just been moved in to a box directly behind the wall as it was in a cupboard next to the electric meter.
I have thought about relocating the meter and its supply but can't really think of a convenient place to put it, other than where it is otherwise its going to end up in the main bedroom or the living room and at least where it is at the moment I can hide it in a cupboard that I don't really need and blends in with the rest of the decor.

I suppose if I keep the meter down low in this corner and maybe put the CU in the back of another cupboard, or even better still.... maybe think do I or should I say the Mrs really need 2 ovens!!, as I think this is more of a sales/designer ploy to get us to spend more

as this is a bungalow most of the wiring will be under the floor hopefully
If its a bungalow, then most of the wiring will probably be in the roof.

As an aside comment. Surely this discussion re the practicality of the location of the CU is one you should be having with your electrician?

I would think the problem is how the oven is used. My mother has a built in oven and the cupboard above it does not get hot, the oven has cooling fans which work well, however just after it was fitted the county council sent a person around to teach my mother how to use the new cooker. Well it seems they failed to teach the teacher and I had a real problem convincing my mother that the teacher was wrong.

She said when you have finished cooking turn the oven off at the wall. This not only resulted in the clock stopping but it also resulted in no oven fans so the heat then when into the cupboard.

So normally the oven will not heat the wall or unit above so heat is not a problem unless some one turns it off at the wall disabling the fans.

The reason i'm not consulting my electrician about this is because I haven't got one yet that is reliable, i've had 3 quotes for a re wire all 3 said when you need to cut off the power to strip the house they each said they would come round and do it and leave a supply next to the meter for the builders to use.......all 3 failed to turn up after they had made arrangements, so i ended up doing it my self........why are there so many unreliable tradesmen around.

Thanks for all your input , I think its safe to say that this idea is possible if I choose this configuration of side by side ovens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back