Reinforced Concrete Building problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my garage 12 years ago from Jewel, who only operate in Germany now.

It consists of two parts, the main garage and a side extension. I would emphasise that these are two complete castings. The side extension is five sided with an open end that butts up to an arch in the main garage. The roofs are sealed and now has soil and plants on them. The joint was sealed with a thick bitument based sheet. Once the green roof had been added it was never entirely waterproof.

A few weeks ago we noticed that the section that butts onto the garage is 75mm out of alignment with the garage at roof level (inline at the base). The movement must have been pretty violent as the end of an internal drain pipe had been pulled out of its socket. The end of the shed is still square.

My question is what kind of company would have the expertise to deal with this problem?

As far as I can see the top needs to be pulled back into position and the top corners trussed to prevent further movement. But as I said, it is a solid cast concrete building and there is very little space as it is behind the garage close to the boundaries and a brick sub station.

I'm located in SW London.

Attachments

• P1060797.JPG
    P1060797.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 79
  • P1060812.JPG
    P1060812.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 77
  • P1060813.JPG
    P1060813.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 84
  • P1060814.JPG
    P1060814.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 74
  • P1060793.JPG
    P1060793.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
Concrete sectional garages are about as low end as you can get. They don't lend themselves well to maintenance either, so most builders will run a mile. Your best bet is to bodge it until you knock it down, as it appears to have served its purpose.

must be foundation failure. to do it properly you would have to lift it with a crane etc and redo the subbase or foundation properly (how was the ground prepared before it was installed?). So I think all you could do is try to jack it up on the corners/edges with a jack and underpin or wedge it of sorts to some sort of level again

Sponsored Links
Presumably somewhere the footings or slab the buildings are sitting on have subsided or sunk or something, social media is flooded with American videos purporting to be able to raise or stabilise concrete slabs/footings and the like by pumping various clever foams into the earth beneath, the videos certainly look very impressive but who knows how effective they really are, there are a few UK firms who seem to offer the service, I have no idea if this is an option or anything like cost effective eg https://www.geobear.co.uk/subsidence-repair/

The base slab hasn't moved (it is deep and reinforced). It is still parallel with the main base but the side extension appears to have dropped about 5mm on its base pad on that corner.

Yes

kp00110, that is the type of building​

The back of the extension is still vertical as is the main garage so the extension appears to have twisted slightly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back