Reinforcing a plaster ceiling for heavy light fitting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have recently purchased a ceiling light for my living room. On removal of the previous fixing it looks like the ceiling is just plasterboard.

Is there anyway I can reinforce the pasterboard so that it is strong enough to hold my new light fixing (about 3kgs). I live in a ground floor flat so going in from above isn't an option for me.

Any ideas?

Help!

Sponsored Links
fit it to the nearest joist

you do not say if it is a chandelier or what.

as above,if the joists not were you want the light just put a nogin between the joists were you want it .

How big is the light fitting's ceiling rose, since this will give us some indication of what is and isn't possible with regard to getting a noggin installed.

Sponsored Links
Take it back where you got it from and have a beer instead of faffing around with it :LOL:
If you cant get to it from above then you will have to hope that you can fix it to the joists ,failing that you will have to take the ceiling down where it is being positioned and put some noggings in to fix to and then repair the ceiling

Now you see why i said take it back ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back