Reinstate decommissioned PIRs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, newbie here.
Just moved into a house that has 4 x outside lights connected to 4 x PIRs. At some point the PIRs were decommissioned by the previous owner so the lights are only controlled (on or off) by the 3 x interior light switches.

I want to reinstate the PIRs so that when the interior lights switches are ‘off’, the PIRs control the lights (as it was originally).

However, when I look at the wiring inside the old Steiner PIRs, it all looks in order. And the PIRs click at night if they detect movement, but they don’t switch the lights on. The wiring is old 3core and earth btw.

Any idea what the electrician has done to stop the PIRs working and what I need to change to get them working again?

Many thanks

Attachments

• E6273E5E-F1ED-48E0-9F9E-BD262CB3835D.jpeg
    E6273E5E-F1ED-48E0-9F9E-BD262CB3835D.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
This is the intermediate switch that controls the lights - red wires connected together and blue and yellow into the switch.

Attachments

• 5722E451-8D8B-4D06-A0CF-FAECC332F9F9.jpeg
    5722E451-8D8B-4D06-A0CF-FAECC332F9F9.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 72
have a look in the back of the last switch or first light, see if that helps

there was probably a reason they were disabled. Kept Coming on

Hello all, newbie here.
Just moved into a house that has 4 x outside lights connected to 4 x PIRs. At some point the PIRs were decommissioned by the previous owner so the lights are only controlled (on or off) by the 3 x interior light switches.

I want to reinstate the PIRs so that when the interior lights switches are ‘off’, the PIRs control the lights (as it was originally).

However, when I look at the wiring inside the old Steiner PIRs, it all looks in order. And the PIRs click at night if they detect movement, but they don’t switch the lights on. The wiring is old 3core and earth btw.

Any idea what the electrician has done to stop the PIRs working and what I need to change to get them working again?

Many thanks

I have used smart sockets and smart bulbs. The problem with a PIR it can switch off at most inopportune moment, I would be better without the lights. The range of the PIR is less than the range of the light, and I do not really want to light the way for the neighbours cats.

There is no colour code, so you would need to test to find out what is what, pictures are of very little help.

Sponsored Links
Thank for replies. I checked all switches and lamps and wiring was fine.
Just seen an extra PIR on other side of house which had the switch live wire (yellow) disconnected, so I reconnected and the lights are on.
Problem is, now they don’t turn off - they are on when the override switch is on but also on during the day when they are meant to be operated by the PIR!
Dodgy PIRs maybe?

I have tried to use PIR many times, either they switch off too soon, don't turn on soon enough, or are triggered by wind.

Yes wind should not trigger them, but it can move central heating flue gases and other heat sources, and become a real pain.

I fitted one in last house with adjustments for lux and sensitivity and it filled with water, and mothers house it would trigger with cars in street some 25 meters away, ended up with insulation tape over part of sensor.

Some can have a switch in parallel others can't, and without instructions you don't know. I seem to have installed a succession of them, here most were solar powered, work for 6 months, then fail.

pir overide single unit.jpg

From memory I am sure that the Live in a Steinel PIR will be Brown, Neutral will be Blue and Switched Live from the PIR to the Lamp will be Red.

The wires in the Steinel are black, blue and brown.
I have old 3c & e coming from the house supply and then on to the lights.
Have connected Steinel brown with yellow 3 core, Steinel blue with blue 3 core and Steinel black with 3 core red as per the previous image.
Finally got it working - there are actually 6 x PIRs all around the house and they didn’t work before because some had the yellow wires disconnected.

The lights needed to stay on override switch for a few minutes and then when switched off they revert to PIR control. I will give it a few days and see if the PIRs are overly sensitive and turn the lights on needlessly. If they do I’ll decommission them again. Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• 80236337-A870-4693-AD75-E69096CD9829.jpeg
    80236337-A870-4693-AD75-E69096CD9829.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 47

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back