Reinstating a fireplace (NOW with a picture!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just reopened my fireplace in my living room (house is 70 years old). A quick look up the chimney shows lots of soot and loose bits of mortar sat on the 'throat' of the chimney. I intend to get it swept before I reinstate a coal/wood grate

But I am concerned that there should be any mortar, is this lining (were chimney's of this age lined?) or cement from between bricks. Could my chimney leak to the point that it may cause a fire in the roof or 1st floor joists?

Thanks
CarryOn

Sponsored Links
The chimney sweep should be able to offer some advice, but you'll want to get the chimney checked by someone that knows what they're doing. They will check it vents adequetly and that the lining is sound. I'd imagine the chimney will need to be relined if it's not been done before.

Good answer.........the pug falling is probably from "parging" which was sometimes done to flues way back ;)

Nige F said:
Good answer.........the pug falling is probably from "parging" which was sometimes done to flues way back ;)

I've had a quick look up the chimney, it narrows as it rises from the fireplace, it appears the 'shoulders' have lost some of their cement. The rest of the chimney appears never to have had any lining, just brick.

I'll call the sweep tomorrow and see that he has to say.

Thanks for you advice.

CarryOn

Sponsored Links
Here is a photo up the Chimney. You'll notice as the chimney narrows there is cement missing from the bricks. The top of the chimney (in the photo) goes through a 90 degree-ish bend.

Click on image to see bigger image:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back