REleasing stuck lampholder from standard lamp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard lamp consisting of a wooden pole and a plastic lampholder at the top. The on-off switch has jammed (thankfully in the "on" position) so the only way I can turn the lamp off is by turning off at the wall switch which is a bit of a faff. I removed the lampshade and bulb to see how to repair the lampholder but everything in the photo seems completely rigid. None of the components will unscrew from one another and the switch is jammed in its position on the right. There is a small rectangular hole on the left (and one at 180 degrees on the other side) below the black ring which I assumed would have a release device in if I inserted a flat bladed screwdriver, but again whatever I'm pressing against in either of the two holes won't budge. So I'm at a loss to know how to get the thing open to dismantle and replace with a new switch. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
20190122_175756.jpg

Sponsored Links
The whole thing just screws onto a ½" screwed metal hollow rod. Just give it a turn and it should unscrew,

You need to replace the whole lampholder. One like this (you can see the screwed entry in the picture)

Screenshot 2019-01-22 23.48.08.png
click the image for link.

Last edited:
Looks like there might be a retaining tooth/prong in that little rectangular hole. Is there one the other side?

If your fitting a new one anyway, Unplug it and squash it with pliers or grips till it breaks, the new one will screw on a thread ,
If you unscrew the old one as it is your likely to damage the cable

Sponsored Links
Looks like there might be a retaining tooth/prong in that little rectangular hole. Is there one the other side?
... There is a small rectangular hole on the left (and one at 180 degrees on the other side) below the black ring which I assumed would have a release device in if I inserted a flat bladed screwdriver, but again whatever I'm pressing against in either of the two holes won't budge. ....

Kind Regards, John

Can I second that? I'm not quite sure what it is I'm seconding, but I'll second it anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back