Relocating my boiler - few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start a new kitchen project which requires moving the boiler - Baxi Solo - works perfectly and isn't going to be replaced.

Here it is in it's current location....

DSC02084Medium.jpg

Behind the wall to the right is the garage and I'm going to move the boiler literally to the other side of this wall.

Just so I'm clear on the scope of the work as I've never moved a boiler before, please can I check that I see it correctly?

I guess the boiler has an electrical power cable to supply it, a cable for the remote timer, the two water pipes that feed the water and a gas supply pipe.

Once I've moved the flu 3 feet to the right, am I missing something or is it then just a case of re-plumbing all the supplys and away we go?

And at what point do I need to get CORGI involved for my little piece of paper?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Suggest you put a hard hat on and some protective clothing you are about to be bombarded ;)

Suggest you put a hard hat on and some protective clothing you are about to be bombarded ;)

Oh dear - hope I haven't said something too stupid?

Just re-read my post - the corgi bit isn't meant to sound condacending, all I mean is that I'm competent enough to do the mechanical part of the job but understand that the gas supply is an important area of safety and will need corgi involved at some point - but at what point I ned to know.

No.You are spot on. Just move your flue three feet to the right and reconnect the water and gas pipes. You could do it yourself or get a Corgi in who would probably do it in an hour and charge about £50 max plus give you the relevant paperwork.
Just a tip, if you're going to do it yourself make sure you use squirt some soapy water on any gas connections you have made to test for leaks.

Sponsored Links
i assume that you are joking! :eek: this is not a have a go yourself sort of job and if any corgi registered installer signs of the work of a diy'er then they want shooting :evil:

I'm obviously missing something.

Please don't jump down my throat, but someone please explain what part of the job is so critical and dangerous?

I've done all sorts of minor building work, re plumbed 75% of the whole house and am generally competent.

Phisically mounting a boiler within all the regs on the wall is straight forward?
Understanding the flu requirements as laid out in the instructuons of the boiler I still have seems simple enough?
The electrics and water pipes can't be mmore difficult that the fully pumped and concealed shower I recently did?
Which only leaves the gas supply.... now again, I don't want to upset anyone as it's clearly a touchy subject, but isn't this a case of connecting it properly and competently then checking for leaks witha drop down test, soapy water etc, etc?

If I'm missing something, please put me straight.

Gaspro1981 is trying to deliberately wind you up. Any decent Corgi installer will come and sign off the paperwork after you have completed the work. Some will even send you the paperwork without seeing the job. They would probably just ask you to answer a few simple questions though first. Like whether the radiators were getting hot enough etc.

right at the beginning!!!!!!!!

it is ILLEGAL to work on a gas appliance unless you are CORGI REGISTERED

what do you not understand about above :?: :?:

You are the first person to mention the word illegal, so before you did, it was the illegal bit I didn't understand. Please don't be offended.

Gaspro1981 is trying to deliberately wind you up. Any decent Corgi installer will come and sign off the paperwork after you have completed the work. Some will even send you the paperwork without seeing the job. They would probably just ask you to answer a few simple questions though first. Like whether the radiators were getting hot enough etc.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:
#
Sorry last but I reckon you have more chance of getting a BJ of her maj than getting any corgi fittert to move that boiler let alone sign off any work you have done.

If we sign of work we take ALL the responsibilty for it and with you being un qualified you may make a huge mistake that results in someone getting hurt years down the line and it will be the RGI who signed it off who ends up in the pokey.

Sorry mate but your plan just doesnt have legs.

no your the wind up guy on this post

Gas work is ILLEGAL unless CORGI reg'd and no self respecting CORGI will sign off work they have not done or seen

right at the beginning!!!!!!!!

it is ILLEGAL to work on a gas appliance unless you are CORGI REGISTERED

what do you not understand about above :?: :?:

You are the first person to mention the word illegal, so before you did, it was the illegal bit I didn't understand. Please don't be offended.

Gawd I hope we arent starting this debate again.

it is NOT illeagal for you to work on your gas supply when you are not CORGI registered but it IS illegal if you canot prove your competency to undertake such work.

you only need the CORGI bit if you are doing it for payment.

Thats my opinion of the law anyway.

But honestly unless you know what you are doing and how to check what you have done dont touch the gas.

also that old solo prollie wont take kindly to be moved and will probably let you down onc you have moved it.

Not to mention the trouble you are going to have if you need a new flue for it.

you are buying trouble

hi,it is illegal to touch anything gas or electric if you are not corgi registered,if you do big problems or even death,not worth risking yours or anybodys life for,call in an expert £50 there abouts to disconnect and reconnect,plus official paperwork by law is required now.

hi,it is illegal to touch anything gas or electric if you are not corgi registered,if you do big problems or even death,not worth risking yours or anybodys life for,call in an expert £50 there abouts to disconnect and reconnect,plus official paperwork by law is required now.

it is NOT illegal to work on gas without corgi reg for nowt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back