Remote controlled external lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently moved house, I now have to walk up quite a dark lane of 100 yards long, and am wondering what the best solution is. My house is at the end of the lane (i.e. the lane stops there, there is no through path) Maybe a long range remote control light on my house / garage shining down the lane? But if so, what sort?

Police websites seem to advise against motion detecting lights (on the basis that no one takes notice of them, so they just help burglars by lighting the area for them!) and they wouldn't really help as I need the light 100 yards before my house.

I am thinking of dusk-til-dawn lighting immediately outside my house, but again that won't help much right down the lane.

So could I put some kind of light quite high up on my house which I could turn on by remote control from at least 100 yards away (preferably further) and would provide the right kind of light for my purposes? Any specific product recommendations? Any other 'bright' ideas?

Apologies if I sound pretty ignorant on the subject, I'm a total novice at such things. :(

Sponsored Links
just done that for a customer, 1 x gjd controller single zone 1x radio receiver and two fobs linked to the gjd and a flood light pointing down the lane, fitted the controller in the loft and the flood at high level ( tilt and swivel type) he presses the remote which activates the gjd and switches the flood on ( time control in the gjd ) you could do it with a timer board and a relay but the gjd unit is less messing about and neater. hope this helps.

well, certainly helps in that now I know it's feasible and doesn't sound horrendously expensive :)

Need to decide what sort of light to use though, having Googled it there is quite a baffling selection and lots of people who champion each type over the others...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back