Removable wooden fence panel and posts over concrete - options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a new garden fence for the back garden. There's an alley between the house and neighbour's house followed by a short stretch of fence about 1.2m long between posts B and C (post C attaches to the back wall of the house) then a 90cm wide gate from post B to post A and thereafter the fence continues to the bottom of the garden. The ground is made up of paving stones and solid concrete. The "old" post B was solid concrete cemented into the ground and has now been removed ready for the new post.

I need to recreate the same appearance but there's a sting in the tail as I need to be able to remove Post B occasionally. Next to Post C are French windows into the back room and I'm planning to get a grand piano; the only way of getting it into the room is through the French windows but due to the angles it wouldn't fit through the gate as things stand, so Post B and the panel between B and C need to be detachable. And if I ever move house I'll need to remove them again...

One option I've considered is a fence post inserted into a fence post shoe bolted into the paving such as:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-bolt-down-post-supports-75-x-75mm-2-pack/99237

However, the post AND the shoe must be removable, otherwise the shoe is going to get in the way of the removal people as they will need to wheel the piano over where the post goes on a trolley. Can the shoe be bolted in in such a way that it can be removed and reused occasionally? If so what sort of screws should be used, and would I also need to fit plastic dowels for the screws to grip the concrete? Or can you get shoes that are flush with the surface?
Gate1.jpg
Overhead view:
Gate2.jpg

Alternatively I could get a pair of gates that hinge at the point where post B is - but they would have to swing as shown below and they have to be different widths too. As most of the time I want to walk from the alley into the garden rather than into the house, having the gate on Post A and open into the garden isn't an option as it would just get in the way, and having it hinge on post A and open into the passageway isn't great either (image below). And what sort of ground fixing would I need at the point where the two panels would hinge to stop the wider panel from moving except when it needs to be for getting a piano through?
Gate3.jpg

Any better suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I think in this case I would favour.. another alternative! I would go for a double gate, with hinges at posts A and C. The two gates would meet roughly where post B was; the less frequently used one would have a sliding bolt to a small hole in the ground. It is possible Post A may need strengthening if the existing gate hinges aren't on that side.

That is assuming the gate hung from post C could be opened back against the wall, but without covering your french windows. If that was an issue then you could use a type of hinges from which the gate could be slid up and off. Or if not frequently used you could even just bolt a non-swinging section to the wall and un-bolt it on rare occasions.

hows about 2 gates one from house to first post position [that wont now be there just a ground bolt]
and the normally used gate connected to post "A" as in a double gates ??

Set post B in with a bolt in metpost, but set it lower so the top of the metpost is flush with the groung. Fill in hole with large chippings so it drains.

A pair of gates is your easiest option I guess. I wouldnt hinge 1 off another, The slave gate will inevitably sag and when opening the master gate, the weight will cause the slave to twist.

If you using timber posts, consider post boots.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for suggestions - with Notch7's idea how would I release the post (ie access the tightening screw) if the top of the boot is flush with the ground? Alternatively if I go for a bolt down shoe what sort of bolts would I need to attach the post to the concrete with to ensure that I could on occasion release the metal shoe?

The idea of a pair of gates is lovely but sadly won't work as the panel is around 120cm wide and the existing gate was 90cm.

You can reduce fence panels in size, with care. Though frankly most are too weak for normal/regular use as a gate, so real gates would be better.

But.. is there any reason why the existing gate could not be used for one half of the double gate and a (possibly strengthened) fence panel used for the (occasional) other half? A double gate need not be symmetrical.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back