Removal of tree roots (Leylandi & Yew)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to hack out some tree roots in my garden which seems like a never ending task. My garden is enclosed and there is no access to bring in a grinding machine, so I was wondering if it would be worth my while purchasing an angle grinder to aid in this chore? If so, what size grinder should I purchase?

Sponsored Links
DON'T USE AN ANGLE GRINDER

why do you want to remove them?

I have a narrow garden (just under 3m wide) and I want to level the ground down so that I can put a summerhouse in situ.

Just realised that I should point out that the trees were in a raised bed and I am attempting to level the bed down to ground level!

dig out the soil so that it is a bit lower than your finished level, and use a pruning saw.

An angle grinder on tree roots can lead to serious or fatal injury.

Sponsored Links
Oh JohnD,

Thank-you so much for your quick replies and sound advice - I was trying to find an easier way to get rid of these roots (have been working on them for weeks). Doesn't help that they are embedded in a wadge of clay too!

I've certainly learnt my lesson to never underestimate removal of soil and digging out roots.

Cheers!

Looks like I'll be getting a Mattock ASAP!

This is the first tiem I have used this site and really cannot thank you guys enough for your help - many thanks - x

I purchased the said Mattock and did some serious damage to the trunks and roots - the end result being that the area is now completely clear.

Thanks guys!
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back