Remove ceiling rose & wire a choc block question - pictu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a new light that needs to be flush with the ceiling, so that means removing the existing ceiling rose and putting those wires into a connector strip and 'pushing' the strip up into the hole in the ceiling.

If anyone in the know could advise a damsel in distress, I'd appreciate it :)

I've added some pictures as I read somewhere that it's easier with pics.

The new light to go up:-

light-fitment.jpg

Ceiling rose as it is:-

ceiling-rose-2.jpg

Connector strip pic to help me out:-

block-2.gif

Question 1. I have 3 different connector strips, 5 amp, 10 amp and 15 amp. Which one do I use?

Question 2. Which wire should go where on the connector strip?

For example would Blue 1 and Blue 2 go into A1 and A2 and where would the blue wire on the light fitting go?

And would the earth wires go opposite each other on the connector strip?

Sorry to be so clueless, but I really don't want to mess this up :oops:

Oh, and then would I wrap insulation tape around the connector strip before pushing it up into the hole?

Cheers,
Lisa.

Sponsored Links
Better to box it up in a proper choc box or similar. tape comes off and goes all clarty and horrible over time.
Basically, you need to duplicate what you have - very sensible to photo it.
Before you undo it number the wires with dots of tippex, or an indellble pen or sommat.
The three wires to the left most will need to be connected to each other.
(the 'blue bundle' ) note one of these will go to your new lamp, and provide neutral. (see the 3 holes are all connected by being in the same the brass bar)
The middle three wires need to go together (the live bundle)
The odd red wire that is '4' in your figure will supply the switched live for the new lamp,
and last but not least, the wires in under the earth screw will need to go to the earth tail for your new lamp.
so 4 terminals worth of choc bloc will be needed, large enough to take upt to 3 wires side by side.

Use terminals large enough to take the wires under the screw clamp comfortably, unless you are stuck for room, there is little merit in using the small stuff, and 3 wires side by side, as at the neutral one for example will need a reasonable hole.
Check the reference section for a description of what is happeneing.

please remember to earth the light fitting - your existing pendant doesn't have an earth, but your new light fitting does. obviously, this connects to the other green/yellow sleeved wires.

Thanks Mike :D

I need to get some different terminals now, as the ones I have only have enough room for 2 wires side by side.

I'll be back again if I get stuck ;)

Lisa.

+++++++++++++++++++++

slippyr4 said:
please remember to earth the light fitting - your existing pendant doesn't have an earth, but your new light fitting does. obviously, this connects to the other green/yellow sleeved wires.

Will do, cheers :D

please note 10 a

Sponsored Links
I need to get some different terminals now, as the ones I have only have enough room for 2 wires side by side

Are you sure - I can usually get three 1mm lighting cables in the same piece of 15a choc bloc - actually I often open the screws right up and pass the wires under both screws of the tunel in use, and all from the same side - this gives a more positive contact as both screws are clamping. (obvioulsy you strighten the wires out to get them in.)
If not you could put two in the left side, and one in the right, but depending on layout it may be more messy.

I didn't realize that I could put 2 wires in the same bit.

So, for example, I could put red1 and red2 under the A1 screw and put red3 under the A2 screw?

Sorry, my wording is not very technical.. lol

Will give it a go tomorrow :) Thanks

I can't quite believe I'm describing this, but I put all the wires into one end of a terminal block, and tighten both screws down on them - they can be kept together easier that way.

securespark said:
I can't quite believe I'm describing this, but I put all the wires into one end of a terminal block, and tighten both screws down on them - they can be kept together easier that way.
i do the same, altho sometimes with insulation they dont all fit from 1 side, so feed in from both sides, with copper going to oter side then each cable has 2 screws

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the replies, got both lights up today with no probs... only aching arms and one broken nail... lol

Couldn't have done it without this forum :)

Thanks again,
Lisa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back