Remove ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to remove a plasterboard ceiling that is covered in Artex. The main house is 1930's and this extension is possibly 20-30 yrs old (maybe older)...

Will the Artex likely contain asbestos? If so what would be the best way of removing? Would this be a job for the pro's?

Pipes are running in ceiling for a boiler that needs relocating as well as electrical cables. I would then re-board after.

Any help/guidance always appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

I need to remove a plasterboard ceiling that is covered in Artex. The main house is 1930's and this extension is possibly 20-30 yrs old (maybe older)...

Will the Artex likely contain asbestos? If so what would be the best way of removing? Would this be a job for the pro's?

Pipes are running in ceiling for a boiler that needs relocating as well as electrical cables. I would then re-board after.

Any help/guidance always appreciated!

Thanks
I'm certainly no expert but I've done this.

Now I tend to err on the side of caution, so first of all I contacted my local authority who offered an asbestos testing service. Thankfully mine came back negative.

So I sent about it with a hammer etc, just pulled down the old stuff. Beware you may find all sorts of muck and debris are sitting on top of the old boards. Cleared the stuff out (down 2 sets of stairs) and screwed new board to the rafters - don't underestimate the effort involved in this either!

If your Artex is old enough to contain asbestos, it will be classed as low risk; as such, you do not need a license & can remove it yourself but obviously wear a decent mask, take precautions (damp it down) so you don’t go creating dust & be sensible about how you do it. Bag it up & phone your local council for your nearest disposal centre; there will be a charge.

As shiny says, it’s a messy job, have you though about just over boarding? You can also plaster over Artex, even very bold patterns, as long as the ceiling boards are basically sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back