Remove tap handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Bit of a dilemma hereo_O.

I need to remove the tap handle/head from a wickes Athens bath mixer tap ( due to a broken handle ) and have no idea how to. A plumber has been around and he also didn't know.

It's going to be costly as the bath tap is installed lengthways against the wall so there is no access to replace. The only options are knock some bricks out from the room next door which has just been plastered or remove bath, screen, tiles etc.
Any ideas? There is no grub screw holding it in place.

Thank!

Sponsored Links
they are on sale for around £45?
I'd buy one and take a look at the instructions - unless you can find either a friendly assistant to open the pack, or the instructions online.

post some photos.

maybe whichever company made the tap can be recognised.

You have emailed Wickes customer service, haven't you?

Thanks Tigercubrider,
I have purchased a new tap with a view to using the handle. So I need to get the new handle off and switch it for the broken one on the installed tap.
There were no instructions with the new tap so I phoned wickes who emailed me a pdf version however nothing other than general installation instructions and nothing about removing the handle which is surprising as it's needed to replace the ceramic valve.

Sponsored Links
Thank JohnD.Another photo...
Yes as above spoken to wickes. I think the tap is about 8 years old. Wickes seem to be selling a few in remaining stock

Attachments

• 20170811_091527.jpg
    20170811_091527.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 116
does the pdf have any clues as to the maker?

are there no hidden allen key holes?
Often they are sited underneath or behind, and my kitchen taps have a very small allen key

Our "buy it cheap" culture was always going to come home to roost.

And as for fitting taps where it is impossible to maintain without removing the bath........................

are there no hidden allen key holes?
Often they are sited underneath or behind, and my kitchen taps have a very small allen key
No just a single hole but no screw and when you turn the tap the whole closes up as if it moved with the handle. There is one hole to remove the arm where the water comes out.
I'm stumped!

Our "buy it cheap" culture was always going to come home to roost.

And as for fitting taps where it is impossible to maintain without removing the bath........................
I know that. It was fitted before we bought the house....

No just a single hole but no screw and when you turn the tap the whole closes up as if it moved with the handle.
I'm stumped!

So have you actually tried to insert an Allen key?
Mine isn't about 2mm in size

So have you actually tried to insert an Allen key?
Mine isn't about 2mm in size
Yes various sizes. If you look in the whole you can just see the brass top of the tap valve (the bit with the lines going down)

Attachments

• 20170822_195333.jpg
    20170822_195333.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 137

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back