Removed Socket

state your qualifications and then comment...if you cannot... i suggest a tight lip...
Geraint - without using any ad hominem fallacies, will you please provide an intelligent and reasoned explanation of why the validity of the comments below is affected by any qualifications I may or may not have?
  • It's not the last socket on a radial though, is it....
  • So in the absence of any deeper investigations to see if any major butchery has taken place or to verify that it's a spur all that can be done is to assume that it's the latter.
  • It could be. There was already at least one spur-from-a-spur. Whoever did that might have strung any number together. Or might have used an FCU.
If you can't do that will you please explain why you said what you did and why you thought it would be a useful contribution to this topic.

Sponsored Links
No - only at people who think it's OK to give thumbs down to posts for no logical, rational, intelligent or mature reasons.

I have never voted anyone's posts down, nor ever criticised anyone's posts on any basis other than what was written, and I don't accept that anyone else should behave otherwise.

Seriously - what on earth is the value of a rating system if people are going to use it to criticise posts for reasons other than what is written on the page? How is it going to help any readers of the forum to see posts getting a negative mark when there is nothing wrong with the information they contain?

Somebody here decided that I should not have written these:
  • It's not the last socket on a radial though, is it....
  • So in the absence of any deeper investigations to see if any major butchery has taken place or to verify that it's a spur all that can be done is to assume that it's the latter.
  • It could be. There was already at least one spur-from-a-spur. Whoever did that might have strung any number together. Or might have used an FCU.
Why?

Are any of them wrong?

Can you really not see how damaging it is to mislead people into thinking that they might be wrong by giving them a thumbs down for reasons unconnected with what they actually say?

Sponsored Links
its a while since i've posted here.

Has sheddy finally lost it? Now he doesn't even know who he is attempting to have a go at and seems to be slating himself. :confused:

reminds me of a job i did for a lady with Asperger's syndrome :eek:

i really can't be bothered to go searching for a quote, but i seem to recall sheddy making a big statement about not dragging personal issues from one thread to another.

Seems as though thats out the window now... :cool:

thumbsup, thumbs down- who cares? everyone is entitled to their opinion, that opinion may be based on the technical content of the post, but may equally be based on the (stinking?) attitude of the poster.

Holmslaw - this is a serious issue of great relevance to the integrity of this forum, and the whole reason for its existence.

If you are not prepared to discuss it sensibly then just go away.

And would the two ****s who disagree with the principle that advice given here should be discussed logically and rationally etc please explain why it is in the best interests of this forum, and the people coming here for advice, for posts to be criticised for reasons other than the advice they actually contain?

Do you remember when you used to get bullied at school an your teachers told you to just ignore them?

Try it here.

Every time someone gives you a thumbs down whether it is justified or not you go off on a massive copy and paste rant, so people are always going to rate you down just to get a rise out of you. It's human nature.

If you just ignore them like I'm sure everyone else would do, they will get bored and stop doing it. It's not like it matters anyway is it?

It isn't the rating system that is wrecking this forum, it is you hijacking every thread with you ad homien whatever it is nonesense. Just stop it.

Oh and before you give me the "it's my right to defend my integrity" speech, don't bother because I don't care.

Do you remember when you used to get bullied at school an your teachers told you to just ignore them?
Any teacher that says that probably says it out of fear and a craven desire for a quiet life.

I firmly believe, and always have, that the quickest, most effective and most permanent way to deal with bullying is to fight back and make it crystal clear to the bully that hell will freeze over before he succeeds in turning you into one of his passive victims.

Try it here.
No way, particularly because it's not my personal equilibrium at stake (as I observed in another thread the pathetic anonymous attacks from these stupid and inadequate children do nothing except show that I am right and they are wrong), but because what they are doing undermines the fabric of this forum and destroys its value to people looking for advice.

I'm disappointed that you can't see that.

Person A gives some advice or comment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he says, no falsehoods, no misleadings, no mistakes, no errors.

Person B, purely because he has taken a dislike to A, and even though he cannot in any rational way criticise A's post, and cannot in any rational way point to any mistakes in it, gives it a thumbs down.

What B is doing is saying that A's post should not have been written. B can't find anything wrong with what A wrote, he just wants others to think that it's wrong because of his own personal animosity towards A.

And you really think that's the way this forum should run?

Every time someone gives you a thumbs down whether it is justified or not you go off on a massive copy and paste rant, so people are always going to rate you down just to get a rise out of you. It's human nature.
It's not my nature and it should not be allowed to be the nature of people on this forum.

If people do that just to get a rise out of me then that is even more evidence of their petty and juvenile nature, and more evidence that perhaps they should be denied privileges on this forum until they have grown up a bit.

If you just ignore them like I'm sure everyone else would do, they will get bored and stop doing it. It's not like it matters anyway is it?
There has been at least one past incident where someone, driven by nothing other than personal animosity, has tried to tell a poster wanting to rewire a house that they don't have to know how to design circuits, that they don't have to know how to relate breaker ratings to cable sizes, that they don't have to know about equipotential bonding, that they don't have to carry out any tests etc.

And you think that's a good thing, that they should be allowed to behave like that, and left unchallenged so that the OP, or others reading the advice later, go away with the message that if they're rewiring a house they don't have to worry about design, safe zones for concealed cables, current carrying capacity, fault loop resistance, bonding, testing etc?

If you do, then shame on you.

It isn't the rating system that is wrecking this forum, it is you hijacking every thread with you ad homien whatever it is nonesense. Just stop it.
It's not hijacking, it's asking people who say "that post should not be here" to explain, in a logical, rational, intelligent and mature way what is wrong with the content of the post.

And I will stop that as soon as people stop giving posts thumbs down for reasons which are nothing to do with what is written in them.

You may care to note that

a) I don't automatically object to any thumbs down I get,

b) I also object to, and report as abuse, instances where other peoples' posts get thumbs down for similarly irrational reasons.

Oh and before you give me the "it's my right to defend my integrity" speech, don't bother because I don't care.
Well I do, and I always will. And I do, and always will, care about misleading advice, lies, cheating and errors in posts here. and giving a thumbs down to a post which is perfectly valid because you don't like the person who wrote it is right up there in the same class as lying etc.

You just can't help your self can you?

I assure you the thumbs down thing is NEVER going to stop if you react like this every time.

If you ignore it yes there will be a few of your posts that get thumbs down and thats probably a shame, but you take all the fun away from who ever is doing it and they will get bored and stop.

Oh and i didn't bother reading whatever you wrote, as I'm far too busy counting how many granuals of sugar there is in an average 500g bag.

Oh and I've given your post a thumbs down cos it's really funny :LOL: :LOL:

You just can't help your self can you?

I assure you the thumbs down thing is NEVER going to stop if you react like this every time.
Then there will be continual trouble and strife until the people who are giving posts thumbs down for invalid reasons are made to stop.

Valid criticism, intelligent debate, rational counter-arguments are fine, but allowing childish petulance to influence the technical content of this forum is not.

If you ignore it yes there will be a few of your posts that get thumbs down and thats probably a shame, but you take all the fun away from who ever is doing it and they will get bored and stop.
I'm sure you'll work out what this stands for, and I'll make it nice and big so that you see it even if you think you shouldn't have to bother reading posts you decide to criticise.

NFW.

Oh and i didn't bother reading whatever you wrote, as I'm far too busy counting how many granuals of sugar there is in an average 500g bag.

Oh and I've given your post a thumbs down cos it's really funny :LOL: :LOL:
So now you think it's acceptable to give posts thumbs down even though you haven't even read them?

My, what an intelligent, mature, rational and valuable asset you are to this forum. :rolleyes:

childish petulance

Is that like when a baby does a trump?

DIYnot is a diy forum full of annoymous usernames.

What's the point of getting so wound up over nothing?

I am immature. I annoy every one at work by hiding their tools and clapping my hands when they turn a breaker on. Sometimes I'll tie wrap the door shut on the portaloo when someones in there.

I love it. It's proper funny.

I am an asset to this forum. I bring with me a wealth of knowledge experience, and help lots of people with there diy needs.

I've never been trapped inside a Portaloo. I make sure that the door is slightly ajar and stick my foot in the gap for good measure......

Lucia.

What's the point of getting so wound up over nothing?
It's not nothing, and that you can think so shows that you are of no value here for you do not take it seriously.

I am immature.
Then please leave here and do not return until you have grown up.

I am an asset to this forum. I bring with me a wealth of knowledge experience, and help lots of people with there diy needs.
Do you?

You see supporting the attitude that people can be told to ignore good advice not because there is anything whatsoever wrong with it but simply because you don't like the person who gave it as being helpful?

Have you ever tried tie wrapping someone inside a portaloo? You should It'll change your whole outlook on life. The best bit is when they start banging on the door. cracks me up every time it really does.

Why should I grow up?

What gives you the right to dictate who can and can not post on this site?

seriously get a grip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back