Removing 2 way switch.

Recommended way of getting rid of switch.

Buy a maintenance free 4 terminal 20 amp junction box.
Turn power off completely.
Gain access above 'redundant' switch.
Pull cables up, or cut off.
Connect grey and red together.
Connect black on it's own.
Connect earth or earths together.

Check it works.

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like the "Grey" is a sheathed single core, going to Common on the switch. Then Red and Black-with-red sleeve coming from L1 and L2.

From its dimensions (as compared to the visible Red and Black[Red-sheathed] insulated conductors) the colour of the third single conductor "cable" at the redundant switch in Picture 4 is that of its TPS, under which there will be insulation of another colour (possibly Red) covering the actual conductor.
Exactly, and that is precisely what I thought I was looking at (which did, and still does, appear grey to me), grey being the standard/common colour for such sheaths these days. One has to go back a good few decades to the days when brown was commonly used for such sheaths.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies, apologies about the confusion over the cabling. The cables at the back of the dimmer were pushed up out of the way so i couldn't see how many grey cables came to the switch until I replaced the dimmer.

I've replaces the dimmer for a standard switch for now. We've decorated the wall with the redundant switch so will leave it for now. Hindsight a lovely thing, i should have just moved the switch to the side next to the other wall when i plastered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back