Removing 80s partition walls in Grade II listed building - advice please

I live in a similar property - 'A' listed (Scottish) building, converted to flats in 70s/80s with very few internal original features.

If the work you want to do will require building regs approval - and I believe that removing a partition wall (non-load-bearing) in a flat will always require permission - then you are going to need plans anyway. The extra cost and time taken to also get listed building consent is not great.

Listed Building Consent is more of a pain for works that would not otherwise require plans to be drawn.

You don't need LBC to replace one modern kitchen or bathroom with another. You also don't need LBC for routine maintenance or like-for-like replacement on the historically-significant shared exterior.

Generally I've found my council's listed building team to be reasonably helpful, though often slow to respond to questions. As long as you think about permission reasonably early on then it's not a great burden.

Sponsored Links
You also don't need LBC for routine maintenance or like-for-like replacement on the historically-significant shared exterior.

If only that was true. Re-pointing stone walls of my cottage, inside and out, required listed building consent.

consent for walls.jpg .

The criteria in legislation is "alteration which would affect its character".
The sort of external work I've been involed with is replacement of lost roof slates and repainting of guttering.
I would not expect repointing to require consent if it were using the same material and in the same style as was previously present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back