Removing a Bentley F133 house alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Had some good advice on here when I had to replace the battery on my Bentley F133 house alarm a few years back.
Well, it's at least 25 years old and always went off in the middle of the night once every 2 years or so.....That is now down to about 3 times per year and as a result (mainly due to the wife hating it going off) we've decided to remove it. I would just ignore it, but the control box and fused spur is in the downstairs cloakroom/toilet which we are replacing and i need them off the wall.
What is involed in doing this?
I replaced the consumer unit in our house around 15 years ago and don't recall any wiring identifying the alarm.
Can anyone advise.....or should I get an alarm engineer in?

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Alarm may be connected to ring main or lighting circuit or may have it's own circuit.
Turn off individual fuses to find how it's powered.
Be careful with mains electricity.

I assume I’ll have to disconnect the battery first, which should set the alarm off, then switch off the circuits one by one until the alarm goes dead?

Turn off the power will turn off the power LED on control panel to identify that power on certain circuit.
Once identified you can disconnect battery, this may cause outside bell box to ring unit system is dead.
May need ladders to disconnect bell box if rings longer than 20 minutes.

Sponsored Links
If I identify the circuit it’s on and disconnect the wiring, surely, then disconnecting the battery will mean I can remove the box and fused spur?

It looks like the transformer is in the garage, below the consumer unit.
Not sure why the fused spur is next to the control box ‍♂️

Probably not ....post picture of control panel as F133 was an all in one panel ...

969EA604-4FE2-4170-BA18-F45D49B136C8.jpeg
Probably not ....post picture of control panel as F133 was an all in one panel ...

Looks like you’re right. I can’t find a transformer for it anywhere. Looks like the one in the garage is for the doorbell or more than likely the smoke alarm.
I’ve turned off the upstairs light circuit and the power light on the panel went off.
I’m hoping there’s two separate cables going into the same MCB in the consumer unit.
The plan is (at the weekend when it’s light) to remove the battery from the control panel, take the front off the consumer unit and if there is two cables, disconnect one which is hopefully the alarm. Then if there is a (working) battery in the box on the outside of the house, take it out. I’m not convinced that there is though.
Cheers
Dave

Thought I'd give an update as I've just got round to doing this today.
There was indeed two cables wired into the 'upstairs lighting' MCB in the consumer unit. Naturaly, the first one I disconnected was the wrong one, so I disconected the other instead. This knocked off the mains light on the alarm panel.
I pulled the positive cable off the battery within the panel....hoping that the battery in the 25 year old sounder box on the outside of the house was dead....and unfortunately the alarm sounded...!
I reconnected the battery and silenced the alarm whilst I got the ladders out and opened the sounder box. I then disconnected the battery again and climbed the ladder as the alarm sounded. I snipped the wires from the battery and the alarm was finally dead!
I double checked that there were no signs of electricity anywhere before cutting all wires and removing the fused spur and alarm. I left the cabling from the consumer unit to the alarm as I might use it for a light up mirror in the downstairs toilet which is next on the list for refurbishment.
all of the sensors around the house have been left and will be removed as and when I next decorate.
Just want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me during this. It is greatly appreciated.
I'll be back for help on buying and installing a CCTV system.
Cheers
Davy !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back