Removing A CEILING ROSE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just bought a really nice light. Problem is as it is quite a modern light i need to get near the top to fit the chrome rose of the fitting to the bracket which attatches to the ceiling. I have an aqful plaster ceiling rose with a hole in the middle but not big enough to get the screwdriver in for fixing.
Would it be possible to chip away the plaster rose without damaging the ceiling do you think! I know i would create a mess, but i really like this light! BTW the ceiling is artex (not flat) in a sort of swirly broken leather type pattern.Is it worth having a go, i REALLY dont want to take my light
back, but then again dont want to pay for replastering the ceiling.
Cheers
Lorraine
ps being a woman i have got the patience but can it be done do you think guys!
I just got a glare from Hubby as if to say hmmm....

Sponsored Links
lolly
I would heed hubbies hmm...

be very careful as the ceiling to me sounds dodgy from what you describe ...artexing was a remedy to cover up a multitude of sins ...ie a bad ceiling in need of being replaced .....

I wouldnt try ripping this plaster rose down as you may have the ceiling come down on you ... :(

as you want to put this light up ....
I would recommend after turning the electricity off at the consumer unit
(incase you nick the wire !)
you get up on a ladder
(held an supported by hubby )
an with a sharp chisel an stanley knife
(be very careful !)
cut around the hole making it wider an chip away lil by lil ...til you can fit your chrome rose
hope this helps you :)

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. The artex ceiling was done from new when the place was built some 18years ago now.
As for making the hole bigger, i still wont be able to do the screw up at the side of the ceiling light rose.
What i have thought of is making a wooden round block to fit inside the ceiling rose to the same depth. Bring the wires from the ceiling through it and then fitting the light bracket to it followed by the chrome rose on the light fitting.
What do you think of my idea? I thought this was a brill idea (being a woman of course!)
CHeers
Lorraine

Me again!

OOps!! Forgot to mention that fitting the wooden infill i would make a noggin first in the ceiling for a fixing!
Cheers
Lorraine

Sponsored Links
got an easier idea for you lolly whaty i used when i did mine...go and buy a cheap holesaw say 3 inch and mark round rose diameter you will need and using holesaw in drill of cours elol carefully cut out the extra..its a lot easier and you should be able to do it in about 7 cuts.....

oh...be carefull you only go to the ceiling and not thru into the bedrooom ! when ur cutting...just making sure lol.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back