removing a damaged screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large cupboard i'd like to take off the wall.
It's held in place by three screws at the top and two at the bottom: the top three can be moved with effort but only one of the bottom two will shift; the other won't budge because the head was stripped by the guy who put it in place and no amount of twisting with mole grips can move it.
Is there a way to move a 'headless' screw withut cutting it?
It's very difficult to get a blade under it and little room to move, either.

Sponsored Links
photos might spark ideas.

is the cupboard to be scrapped?

Drill the top off then grip the remaining shaft with mole grips once the cupboard is removed.

I'd like to use the cupboard for a cold frame so i can grow seedlings - and i'm not sure a photo will help much.
And i'm loathe to drill the top out as i cannot get a good grip with the mole grips as it's in such a tight spot...i may as well try cutting the head off in that case and that will end up damaging the wood. It is under the base of the cupboard so it won't be noticeable, but still i'm averse to damaging wood on principle.

Sponsored Links
I find gripping the Head with Side Cutters works well with Damaged Screws. Used this method for DIY and Repairing Electronics may times.
As if you were trying to cut the screw is half along it's length.
Gets a better grip than Pliers or Mole Grips.

I have a Dremel which is used with grinding discs to cut new slots in cream crackered screw heads. Works well

I took one last crack at that stuck screw this morning and lo! thar she blows!
With the mole grips ratched down to their lowest setting i finally got a firm grip on the screwhead and, with slow half-turns, managed to loosen it enough to bring out the whole thing.
With great relief the others came out easily enough and a firm pull on the cupboard brought it safely off the wall.
I'm sure you're all releived to learn alls well that ends well. o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back